Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to tell whether baby is allergic to formula or he just doesn't like the taste?!?

miriam228 is offline Registered User

How to tell whether baby is allergic to formula or he just doesn't like the taste?!?

Help needed pls!!!

4 month old baby is constantly crying when ever we try to bottle feed him! It all started after he started going on formula (Meiji) after 2 months of expressed BM. Everytime we start to feeding him, he would cry insanely, spit out the milk, stretch out his legs, arch back, and occassionaly VOMITS!!! But when he's ASLEEP, and we gently "force" feed him, he gulps it down within minutes!! (Even after 9 hours, his first morning feed, he still "fights" with us and rejects his milk!!!!) Is he not hungry?!?!

Have been told he may be allergic to the formula. So took him to the paed, and the doc recommended we switch to low-allergy formula (also Meiji). Same reaction after 1 week. So that didnt' work.

Was also told he may not like the taste of Meiji formula. Since I had another Jap brand Glico at home, tried that for a few days. Guess what? Same. Useless..

Should I try other brands, other than Japanese brands? If so, what brand is recommended?? (His sister, now 2 yrs old has been drinking Meiji all along, and she was fine with it! So, I haven't tried other brands before) Should I go visit paed Alfred Tam Yut Cheung (very costly), to find out the cause of this?? Or going to the local Maternal and Child Health Centre will do?? Baby has not gained/lost weight for 1 month now, still at 15 lbs at 3 & 4 months old.

It's so frustrating for the whole family to feed him each time, as well as frustrating for the little one, since he cries terribly during each feed and occassionaly vomits!!

I'm lost and don't know what to do! Help pls!!!!!

Thanks!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I would think that the baby doesn't like the taste, if he just doesn't want to take it.... Have you tried other brands like Friso? it tastes mild and a little bit like breastmilk, imo (although I haven't taste many formula). I think Abbott Gain Plus supposedly taste close to breastmilk as well. If you don't want to buy the whole pot, you may try calling the distributor and see if they can send you some free samples.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I wonder if he's just not hungry, if he's on a schedule for feeding maybe it doesn't suit him. Try varying the times and stretching out the times between you are feeding him.

I think it's quite common for babies not to be hungry for their morning bottle, mine never was until he'd had a chance to wake up for a while, even then it was much smaller than lunch.

I would also try other brands and look at maybe whether the milk is coming out too fast or too slow for him which can also cause frustration.

I hope you find a solution.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    Just thinking about this in another way.. could it by any chance be the teat or is it the same one he used when he drank expressed BM?

I know you don't want to water down your formula all the time, but have you tried adding more water to see if he likes it more? If yes, then it is probably the taste and he needs something milder. Just an idea instead of buying several brands to see if it's really the taste.

How about temperature of milk?

miriam228 is offline Registered User
    Hi 1sttimemom,

Yes, same Pigeon teat all along. He never liked Nuk or Chu Chu.

No, haven't tried watering down the formula. It'd work???

Could it be COLIC??

How often can they switch formulas??

komo is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't recommend watering down the formula. The ratio of water to formula is often important to provide the child with adequate nutrients. Less water may cause dehydration, more water diluting the quality of the formula.

Are you still breastfeeding or have you stopped all together. What I would recommend is placing him initially on breast milk again, then graduate the formula into the breast milk. So first couple of days, do 75% BM/ 25% formula, once he has adjusted to that move to 50/50 and then 25% BM/75% formula.

My daughter was the same, happy to take BM from a bottle but as soon as I placed formula in it, she would howl and scream. I went as far (just to be safe) as doing 90% BM to start & 10% formula, and moving even more slowly then above.

Is there any reason you are sticking to Japanese formula? I am not familiar with them, but maybe it is common for that country to make their formula's similar ways? Unfortunately with formula it is all pot luck (and so expensive if you need to try different ones).

Maybe a trip to the maternal health centre or doc might be worth it just in case the above doesn't work. Good luck - very frustrating I know (been there!).

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't recommend watering down the formula for the long term either, to be clear. It's just to try if milder taste would work, and then you'd find a brand with the milder taste (vs buying and buying cans to try).

I agree with Komo if you're still breastfeeding a bit... mix formula/breastmilk.

My daughter drinks Meiji. I managed to switch her to formula from breastmilk with no problems at 3.5 months by mixing the formula and breastmilk.

Good luck!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam228 View Post

Could it be COLIC??
    I wouldn't think it is colic, as your baby cries during the feeding, and not after. As you described, the "vomit" is probably due to the crying, as he swallows tons of gas as he cries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast