Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Your views please on hipp organic first milk (from birth onwards)

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Hi banane76. Yeah I know what you mean about establishing the milk supply before moving onto formula, but it's just intended to be a back-up in case all attempts at BF fail miserably.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    I would think twice about having formula at home "just in case". It is like someone trying to give up smoking but keeping a pack of cigarettes in a drawer just in case. Sooner or later with a new baby you will feel desperate.

When this feeling hits the best thing to do is call a La Leche League Leader or a lactation consultant. They will help you understand if your baby’s behaviour is normal for a newborn or if indeed you really do need to supplement with formula (or better yet – your own expressed milk).

Remember that Hong Kong hardly ever shuts. So if it does turn out that you need to supplement you can always get formula when you need it.

La Leche League contact details are available at http://www.lllhk.org/Contact.html
    And lactation consultants’ details are available at http://www.geobaby.com/directory/health/midwives

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Sarah Hung IBCLC
    www.lotuslactation.com

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I just fed my baby as much as he wanted...now at 2 months, he's about every 3-4 hours and he did that on his own. He also cluster-fed on his own in the evening and would naturally want to go to bed around 7...from there, he could sleep 4-6 hours and then wake up twice in the night...no dream feed...we did introduce the bottle already and have used only a couple times with expressed milk for when I had appointments. This time we didn't get any backup formula. Last time we just put one tin in the kitchen but didn't touch it.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I personally agree with Sarah's post above. Have you considered, instead, getting a cheap hand breast pump (personally I like the Avent or the Medela hand pumps - I like Medela better but I know people who prefer the Avent Isis pump...) and pumping a few bags of milk for an emergency instead? That's what I would recommend...

Hi Sarah & nicolejoy. I appreciate your guidance and I am mindful that I'm probably worrying unnecessarily. Besides no one ever said that motherhood is easy! I will stick with BF as far as possible and I fully intend to turn to other mothers and LLL if I encounter any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by banane76 View Post
    I just fed my baby as much as he wanted...now at 2 months, he's about every 3-4 hours and he did that on his own. He also cluster-fed on his own in the evening and would naturally want to go to bed around 7...from there, he could sleep 4-6 hours and then wake up twice in the night...no dream feed...we did introduce the bottle already and have used only a couple times with expressed milk for when I had appointments. This time we didn't get any backup formula. Last time we just put one tin in the kitchen but didn't touch it.
    Banane76, did you just feed the baby on demand or did you try to follow some sort of feeding routine such as that advocated by Gina Ford (author of The Contented Little Baby Book)?

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I fed on demand as it seems a little mean to wait 3 or 4 hours before the next feeding with Gina Ford's scheduling, especially with a newborn as their tummies are still so tiny and can't hold very much milk which means they need to feed more often. It was a bit crazy in the first month as that meant sometimes it was every hour to hour and a half...I did get breaks though if I took him down to the grocery store or put him in the sling just to distract him. I think also baby eventually gets into their own routine. I was just reading Deborah (ex-Annerley sleep lady) about establishing routines with new babies and if it's totally not working for you, then slowly easy your baby into a schedule. So far, my baby kinda does his own thing with me feeding on demand. Everytime he wakes up from a sleep, I offer him a feed and he doesn't always take it. He naturally goes down for his longest sleep around 7pm which works for me, and then he might be up once, twice or three times...which is ok. The more they feed in the day, the less at night. Some of Gina Ford's ideas are good guidelines, but I find the timings a bit too strict for me and it doesn't work with every baby.

Yes, I can see how Gina Ford's schedules may seem a bit too "regimented".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast