Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Formula milk samples

peachylin is offline Registered User

Formula milk samples

Hi, would anybody know where I can get free samples of formula here in HK? I need to stop BF-ing for about a week for medical reasons so would want to try out first which formula my baby will like before buying the big cans. I tried Meiji on her but she did not react well to it.
    Thanks!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I'm not sure about free samples but B2B do single portions of ready made formula in a couple of different brands. You can also sometimes get smaller cans of some brands.

rani is offline Administrator
    Ask your Pediatrician, they receive free samples from the companies to pass on to patients.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks jvn, I will check B2B.

Rani, I asked my pedia which formula to use and he said they're equally bad so I just take my pick. He's a staunch supporter of BF-ing (which I am too but I do need to stop for a week or 2) so I don't think he has samples. But let me ask her nurse/assistant. Thanks.

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    Please double check with a La Leche League Leader that it truly is necessary to wean your baby. I find that many doctors in Hong Kong tell mothers to wean, whether temporally or permanently, when this is not necessary.

In fact, when this happened to a mother I’d been helping last month I wrote to the Hong Kong Medical Council but unfortunately they replied that they weren’t interested with doctors giving such bad advice!

La Leche League contacts are available at http://www.lllhk.org/Contact.html

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Sarah Hung IBCLC
    www.lotuslactation.com

Thanks, Sarah. I am about to use eye drops with steroids and the ophthalmologist suggested to stop for a while. I read the pamphlet that came with the drops and it "advised" to stop as well. Same can be read online so I just thought of indeed stopping for a week or two.

PS: my eye is in a very bad state and it's painful :-(

I tried Meiji for a day when I used the drops but my baby wasn't feeding well and she was awfully quiet (weak?) so I stopped the drops and BF her again. But now my eye is bothering me. Sigh.

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    Can you send me the name of the drug and I’ll look it up in the book Medications and Mothers’ Milk by Thomas Hale?

It is important to get a non-drug manufacture’s view of the drug as the manufacture nearly always says not to breastfeed to protect themselves from litigation. The main book that the doctors use is a book which lists the drug manufacture’s information.

Below is what Hale says about Prednisolone (a very common steroid found in eye drop medications). Eye medications are usually small doses.

In small doses, most steroids are certainly not contraindicated in nursing mothers. Whenever possible use low-dose alternatives such as aerosols or inhalers. Following administration, wait at least 4 hours if possible prior to feeding infant to reduce exposure. With high doses (>40 mg/day), particularly for long periods, steroids could potentially produce problems in infants growth and development, although we have absolutely no data in this area, or which doses would pose problems. Brief applications of high dose steroids are probably not contraindicated as the overall exposure is low. With prolonged high dose therapy, the infant should be closely monitored for growth and development.

He gives the drug a Lactation Risk of L2 ( L1 = Safest, L2 = Safer, L3 = Moderately Safe, L4 = Possibly Hazardous, L5 = Contraindicated)
    And a Pregnancy Risk of C
    The AAP say it is a maternal medication usually compatible with breastfeeding.

Also remember when deciding to stop breastfeeding to way up the problems of the baby not being breast fed. Our society often assumes this is zero and this is not the case. Usually it is healthier for a baby to continue getting breast milk even with a bit of the mother’s drug in it than to have formula milk.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
    SARAH

Sarah Hung IBCLC
    www.lotuslactation.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast