Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I found my daughter's picture at my home on the web!!! What shall I do??

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    A number of people on this thread have opined that they dont like this type of activity and would prefer that it not happen. Thats perfectly fine and this is the prerogative of a parent.

A few of the posters have gone a bit further with comments such as "protect my babies' privacy" (is there really any harm here, what is there to protect?), "risk of these social networking sites" (what risk is there in posting a picture of a baby?), "all kinds of predators out there, online" (yes, there are but how is having a baby picture online put the baby at risk?).

There is a similarity thru these messages that shows that the poster believes there is some risk and/or some harm may come from posting these pictures. Could someone please enlighten me about what these risks are?

If you prefer to keep your pictures private, thats find and no one should force you otherwise; but if you believe there will be some kind of harm that can come from it, I would really would like to understand your reasoning.

HC

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    HC, my concerns tend more to the fact that you no longer 'own' photos that are published on fb, I don't know much about it tbh but a friend is a professional photographer and won't put her photos on fb because with their massive privacy policy (longer than the US constitution, so I hear!) indicates that fb have some sort of rights to the photos you put on there. Like I say, I'm not well versed in it but given that things are very hard to delete from the internet, then in 20 years time when my son is looking for a job he probably won't want embarrassing naked baby photos coming up of him or being used in a promotion or anything like that. Therefore I make sure that I don't put potentially embarrassing photos of him online. That would be the privacy I would wish to protect, yeah it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination but down the line I don't want to be the idiot parent who didn't think before I acted.

There is also a form of crime where clever internet types can link up information from your various social networking accounts, a photo of your valuable Ming vase, your address from facebook and the information that you're sunning yourself in Bali at the moment. It probably wouldn't be worth doing with someone like me as I'm a bit short on valuable vases but perhaps some of the posters are worried about this sort of linkage with pictures of their home.

Ultimately, I think we're all very protective of our children and I would hate to think of a photo of my child being copied and used in an inappropriate or commercial context. Perhaps not a direct physical risk but nevertheless one that I would consider before putting a photo online.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    HC,

I don't want my toddler's pics to be stored or found in the computer hard drives of paedophiles (that is if they ever get caught), paedophile sites or file-sharing/swapping sites. Fully clothed is one thing, naked is worse. The photos can be taken innocently by a well-meaning person such as my helper, it gets circulated and then finds its way online.

Unlike other posters, ownership of the pictures is not that important to me except when I want objectionable photos taken down.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Sorry Lisa88, what I meant by ownership is that you no longer have the rights to say what is done with the photos, so as I understand it fb could sell/give/reproduce those photos without needing your consent. I didn't mean ownership in a financial context although of course if you are a professional that would be an issue which I did bring up so that's probably what confused the issue.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    HC, the risks from my perspective include: (as pointed out by jvn) potential thieves seeing valuables in your home which are inadvertantly seen in the photographs, pictures circulated to paedophiles, paedophiles contacting my helper after seeing my DC's pictures (and my helper not being saavy enough to work out what these people are up to).....there was a while back an 'experiment' done by some british journalist where she paid an IT company to find out as much as they could about her, and from her facebook, myspace pages and pictures they worked out the names of her family members, where she lived, where her parents lived (suburb only not actual address) and even where she holidayed through out the year.....I can't find the article although was racking my brains today.....but the risks of social networking sites are very real, although to be fair they also bring with them benefits.
    At the end of the day, I prefer to be the one making decisions about posting my family's pics on the internet and taking the consequences when and if they arise, as opposed to having to deal with a problem after the fact, particularly when it is not of my doing.

HappyNatali is offline Registered User
    At the end of the day, I prefer to be the one making decisions about posting my family's pics on the internet and taking the consequences when and if they arise, as opposed to having to deal with a problem after the fact, particularly when it is not of my doing.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. that's the point. I entrust my helper to the privacy of my home. If she post a pic of my baby, she might as well post a silly picture my husband writes me... etc. I definitely don't want that to happen.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Your helper did nothing illegal. In fact, she did nothing wrong. Maybe she was silly or naive not asking you first, but that's about it.

Simply tell her you want the photos down ASAP, and to never do it again, and that's the end of that. They will disappear from FB, along with the millions of other pix out there, and that nobody will know the difference. There's no need to panic about pedophiles, HK law, FB copyright issues or whatever.

Any of us are legally allowed to take photos of our homes and workplaces -- and your home is also her home / workplace. If I take a photo of our family reunion at my aunt's house and post it on FB, and my aunt is unhappy -- well, I'd take it down out of courtesy, but it's not like I've broken any law.

Anyway, just talk to her and don't worry about it.

mamapanda is offline Registered User
    Definitely agree with others that you should talk to your helper and lay out what's acceptable and what's not. She might not understand what's the big deal with posting a baby picture on the internet. Do explain to her that you're uncomfortable about it and that the virtual world is complicated. I find that in different cultures, definition of privacy and what's acceptable is very different. I just have my first helper for a month. One day, I came home from work, put my bag in the living room and went to my bedroom to get changed. When I came out I saw my helper going through my bag!! Only to find that she's looking for my ice-pack and expressed milk so she can put them in the fridge for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12