Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how to react? husband's family takes child to beach without notifying you beforehand.

solidstars is offline Registered User

how to react? husband's family takes child to beach without notifying you beforehand.

So, got to MIL's house today after work (with husband, we'll call him X) and:

MIL: so i washed T already, but not really a bath, just to get the sand off

Me: sand?

**notible pause in living room**

T's young cousin looks at MIL and then looks at me and shouts: Well, X knows we went to the beach today!

Me: Okay. (looks at T) did you have fun? (chat with T)
    (I continue to pretend everything is okay)

*X and I walk away from living room*

Me: When were you going to tell me your mom took T to the beach?
    X: Well, I forgot myself, so that's why I forgot to tell you.

How am i supposed to react? I don't mind T going to the beach, but I do mind that everyone seems to be keeping it a secret from me? If it wasn't for the fact that my MIL 'leaked' it out I wouldn't have known at all!!!!

So confused! Not sure where to direct my anger, I supposed I should be angry at my husband for keeping it a secret?!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    think this is one to let slip.... my hubby and his family do stuff with my kids when i'm at work... it's not a secret, they just don't think to tell me about it until after the fact... last week, my MIL took my son to mongkok for lunch with my BIL & SIL.... i was at work and had no idea...

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    South District
    it's the first time - would let it slide. at least your kid was under your MIL's supervision

geomum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Actually I would be very happy if any of my family members took care of my kids like that or entertained them by taking them to the beach. I would just say thank you and make them feel they did an awesome job :)

matemate is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    the one to blame is your husband if anyone. though agree with above to let it slip

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I think probably they didn't mean to keep it as a secret. Probably for them was just a normal activity with your kid,... so normal that, why bother telling you?

I bet that if my parents were the one taking care of my baby, they would take him everywhere, and wouldn't bother telling me about that as well....

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I know from your other posts here, solidstars, that it's not always "happy land" at your house and you do have issues with your in-laws and your husband (X--is that cryptic for "ex"???)

In this case, I would say this is completely normal. My parents-in-law look after my son on the weekends. They took him to the beach last weekend and neither my husband nor I knew about it until later. He had fun. To me, it's not any bigger of a deal than if they had taken him to the playground to play. Unless you have something particularly against your child going to the beach?

Husbands forget a lot of things. My husband forgets to tell me a lot of things. Well, also he forgets to translate things for me sometimes because he speaks Cantonese and I don't. So, he just kind of assumes I overheard the conversation and got the meaning. What motivation would he or your parents-in-law have for keeping such a thing as a trip to the beach as a secret from you? Doesn't make any sense--unless we don't have all the info. here.

Let it slide, girl, let it slide. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

RileyC is offline Registered User
    HK Island
    Agree with the others to let it go. Your child is very lucky to have family who can spend quality time with him/her.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast