Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Travel to Beijing--I need some health tips for kiddos

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Travel to Beijing--I need some health tips for kiddos

We may be traveling to Beijing in July with our daughter and possibly our son.

I want to ask if anyone knows if there are any recommended vaccinations we need? I never think about this sort of thing as an adult because I've had a lot of travel vaccinations but we've never traveled outside HK (except to the US) with our son and our daughter is 3-months-old today.

Also, does anyone know what is the best hospital(s) in Beijing? In case of an emergency, I want to know for sure where to take my children. We are getting our insurance updated next week to include the baby and also for travel purposes so if need be we can be taken to HK for medical care...but, if it's life-or-death (God forbid) I need to have everything mapped out.

I have been to Beijing several times in the past as I used to live in Northeast China but it's been 5 years since I've been back and I've never gone with children or babies so it's a totally different dynamic.

Thanks for tips.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Anne1212 is offline Registered User

Hi,
    We lived in Beijing for a while and have just moved back. Don't know everything but could share some notes.
    We moved there when our son was 1.5 months old and he didn't have anything extra vaccination. Asked both HK and Beijing doctors if you're living there (so in this case not applicable to u but FYI anyway) BCG, Japanese Encephalitis B, Meningococcal A+C are recommended. My son had BCG at birth already and for the other 2 we didn't give him at the end.

Beijing United Family Hospital (BJU) in the Lido area in the east side is good for expats if mandarin is an issue. Check your insurance because if u have to pay the bill yourself it is very expensive. My son was once admitted to ER in the middle of the night and stayed another night and it costed rmb15000...
    BJU has outpatient service too. Book in advance.
    Vista clinics and International SOS clinics are other English speaking alternatives.
    Local ones I heard Xie He Yi Yuan and Er Tong Yi Yuan on Ya Bao road (children's hospital). Don't know cost or waiting time.

July in beijing is going to be hot hot hot!! Be prepared~

In case playing outdoor is too much, there're 2 indoor play areas on the 4/F of The Place shopping mall in CBD and 2/F on the other side of the mall. Kids love them. Not far, in Chaowai Soho there's Familier in block A 7/F which is also good as they serve food too. There are loads of other places for your kids to play indoor or outdoor. Google Beijing kids magazine's website there're a lot of info.

Have fun~ (oh missing my friends in Beijing...)

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Thanks Anne1212!

I will be prepared now. Actually speak Mandarin and so does my husband but I think hospitals that are expat friendly will be a better bet medically anyway.

Thank you for the tips--exactly what I'm looking for!

I'll be going there for work but my baby has to come with me because I'm breastfeeding. I do remember how hot Beijing is in the summertime! Super hot in July! Wow! Not sure what to do with the preschooler while I'm working--husband may take him sight seeing. I've seen most of the sights in Beijing.

Were you living there post-Olympics? I've heard that the city changed a lot.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK