Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What do people think of Heinz cereals?

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

What do people think of Heinz cereals?

I have bought Heinz Breakfast Oat & Apple cereal for my 6 month old. He really likes it. It says there are no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives but are there any downsides to feeding it? I have only really given him fresh food up until now (apart from a little baby rice mixed in the food sometimes).

jvn is offline Registered User
    Mid-Levels, Hong Kong
    I'd look at the small print, sugar isn't an artificial flavouring, neither is salt. I'm no expert but lots of other less than desirable ingredients can lurk under the 'no artifical' tag.

A 'fat free' product can be high calorie and have loads of sugar, a 'sugar free' product will doubtless be chock full of artificial sweeteners and lard. Those claims are all designed to mislead and make us think that products are better for us than they are.

That being said, I'm not saying you shouldn't feed it to him just that you should look at what is actually in it not what the manufacturers say isn't in it. Then you can make an informed decision about if/how often he has it.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    I give these cereals (and the banana ones) to my daughter every morning since she is 6 months old, mixed with some fruit puree, and she loves it. I see no problem with it.

BabyG is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I also use them. I try to buy organic as much as possible but I see no problem in giving bubs heinz cereal x

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    is this the one you are referring to? if it is, i wont feed my 6 mth old with it after checking the ingredient list. my firstborn had a bad case of food reaction and gas. so far second baby just has lotsa gas. here's what i try to avoid till they are about a year old.

it has whole milk contents such as:
    Skimmed Milk Powder
    Whole Milk Powder
    Milk Protein
    generally, whole milk fed to babies below a year old can impede their iron absorption. in this case, i guess you have to consume alot to have that effect.

it has food additives such as
    Calcium Carbonate
    i guess sooner or later they will consume all that, but i'd rather much later :)