Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Kowloon Station

madsdad is offline Registered User

Kowloon Station

Hello

My wife, and I have just moved to Hong Kong and are looking for somewhere to live. We really like Kowloon Station but I am after feedback on pollution levels there, are they any worse/better than other parts of Hong Kong. Also are there any other Australian families living in this area? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Based solely on personal experience, I would say the pollution levels are much lower as proximity to the water creates more airflow, and there are very few cars as it is on top of an MTR station and all the parking structures are contained underground. There is a bus depot you should avoid walking through, however, if you are concerned about your lungs.

I'm not Australian but have run into Australian families who live in my building and assume there are more in other buildings. As a resident here I think it's a great place for convenience, family friendly aspects (the short walk to the waterfront, the grassy playareas, outdoor playground, ice skating rink, family friendly restaurants). Good luck with your choice!

madsdad is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the quick reply Ssheng

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    The problem with living in an area close to the sea is the feeling you get more wind, more "fresh air". You might not get the car fumes, but you get the boat ones, the cargo bad fuel, on all in this area due to the cargo harbour just close to Kowloon station, which are actually far worse than cars.
    We are also living in a windy area down HK island, and can see the smoke residue in our place every day, our feet get black just by walking barefoot !
    If you like the place, just go for it, because if you look for a non-polluted area in HK, you just won't find it !

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    We live there too, I think the "background" pollution levels are the same as everywhere in Hong Kong and are just influenced by the winds & precipitation.

However, as there is much better airflow through the area (much less built-up than mid-Levels and other parts of HK island) emissions from vehicles probably gets dispersed a bit quicker than an area surrounded by high rises. if you like the area I would say go for it... sadly pollution is a problem throughout Hong Kong and there is no way to avoid it completely.