Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

My 11 month old only wants to eat fruit...

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

My 11 month old only wants to eat fruit...

My 11 month old only wants to eat fruit... by itself, with yogurt, in porridge. Oh, and she'll eat bread if she wants to. But in the last few days, no veggies, no meat, nothing else except fruit and maybe bread.

I know I shouldn't worry too much, but I am considering removing fruit from all meals. How should I go about this? Should I remove fruits until she eats her veggies or let her eat whatever her heart pleases until she gets out of this phase?

Thanks!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Personally, I'd offer her a range of things and let her choose what she wants, if it's fruit then so be it. At this age eating is still a very instinctive thing, they're not like adults in that we can choose to diet or comfort eat they don't think about food that way.

Often during a growth spurt a baby will choose a very carb or protein heavy diet, I've heard of babies eating lots of fruit when they have a cold. Maybe she is fighting off a cold and needs the vitamin c in the fruit. If she's still drinking milk then she's still getting all the fats and nutrients she needs from that so I wouldn't worry too much about it at all.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    Thanks jvn. I need to think this one through to see what I should do. She's quite stubborn and is getting too smart for me trying to sneak in non-fruit between bites of fruit. Or maybe that was the wrong thing to do in the first place, sneaking the bites in.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    I agree with jvn. At 10 months 'food is for fun' still and she is getting most of her nutrition from milk. Often babies and small children (and even lots of adults) go through phases of eating a limited range of foods. If you just keep offering a range of options as it sounds like you have she will take what she needs. The more she realises it stresses you the harder it is for both of you and it will definitely pass. Just eating fruit is a pretty good one and you have said that she is having it with both porridge and yoghurt; some babies will only eat one thing eg bananas, bread etc for a period of time but still turn out to be perfectly normal eaters as they grow.