Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Anyone delivered in Hong Kong Adventist?

charade is offline Registered User
    While it may be normal policy for hospitals not to allow patients to check in early for no medical reason, it is not normal policy everywhere in the world for hospitals to:
    1. Require patients to confirm their hospital booking extremely early (before 12 weeks and sometimes as early as six weeks) and put down a deposit.
    2. Pay a deposit based on a given price sheet and then be informed the prices have gone up but no refund if they choose to withdraw
    3. Be bumped up to a more expensive room and be asked to pay not only double the cost for the room, but also double the cost for the doctor, and everything else. If you choose to not go with the more expensive room, you lose your deposit (which in the case of Adventist is HKD20,000), not a small amount. It is a tought call for awoman who has started labour may to do a u-turn and find her way to a public hospital having reached the private one and been told of the extra costs.
    4. To charge people extra if their baby so happens to be born on a public holiday.
    5. After all this expense, if there is a complication to ship people off to the nearest public hospital because the private hospital is not equipped.

Overall, this sitution is unfair and ridiculous. Yes, people can always go public but that the private hospitals seem to be on shaky ethical ground.

Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    This is a completely normal policy at any hospital anywhere in the world. Why on earth would a hospital allow a healthy person to check into a hospital room FOR NO MEDICAL REASON a day before a planned procedure (assuming you are having a c-section)?
    You seem very preoccupied and worried with the cost of this delivery and should perhaps consider booking through the public health system. The quality of care is high, if a c-section is medically necessary for mother or child it will be performed, otherwise you will have a natural birth (supported by appropriate pain management, including an epidural if you request it) at almost no cost if you are a HK resident.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User
    Appledai, sounds like you need to talk to someone about the pros/cons of both natural and c-section births. Both have positives as well as risks. C-section is major surgery. Have you done an Antenatal class? It might help you decide which way to go. Millions of babies are born naturally,
    I'm not so sure why you're so concerned...

Plus, Drs can monitor the baby all the way and if they think there's any risk they'll do a c-section.

appledai is offline Registered User
    Right. so unfair. so angry when we were informed pricing up after paid deposit.

Hi AndreaSB. I actually did many research and understand goodness of natural delivery. In geobaby, most of you chose natural way, I go through some chinese forum, many moms chose c-section. It is the hardest thing to decide.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hi AppleDai -- I followed you here from the other thread! :)
    Honestly, I think most Chinese / HK women here are quite misinformed, and more likely to just listen to doctors instead of doing their own research.
    That said, I am HK Chinese myself. Every single woman in my family -- and I have 17 first cousins! -- have had natural birth. Everyone one of us came out OK.
    I've read through some of your past posts and, repeatedly, you've talked about the specific problem of brain damage due to a lack of Oxygen.
    Is there a reason you're so worried about this one, very very particular and rare problem?
    There is no 100% guarantee with C-section or natural, of course. But you are aware that hospitals monitor fetal heart rates through delivery, right? If anything is wrong -- in public or private -- they will do an emergency C-section.

You seem so concerned with money. I hope you're not going to spend tens of thousands because you're worried about this one problem.
    Of course, if you have the money and it's your desire, you can elect for a C-section in private, too. But you seem a little confused.

Good luck whatever you do.

We were designed a certain way for a reason. I personally cannot see the point of having surgery unless there's a good reason for it. Chances are your baby will be fine either way, it's just whether or not YOU are up for the challenge of a natural birth. Good luck with the decision. Do what feels "right" for you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123