Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What's better in DB: Live near Ferry Pier or Siena Club/North Plaza?

RileyC is offline Registered User
    ^ Thanks for all your responses. Can anyone tell me their honest opinion about the Peninsula Village development? What is it like living there? What facilities does it have? Are they free to use or is there a charge? Is there a shuttle bus to the ferry pier and DB Plaza or only "public" buses? What buses How far away is it from all the major shops, the pier etc., and is it within walking distance? I've never been to DB before, so any information you can volunteer would really help! :)

I can only find very limited information on the Internet, and as I'm quite heavily pregnant now, I don't want to go all the way to DB to view an apartment unless I 'm

RileyC is offline Registered User
    ^ certain that it ticks the right boxes for me. Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    riley, the only "shuttle" buses go from the golf club and the marina club. all of the rest are "public buses". each "village" has it's own bus route servicing it.

no village has "facilities" on it's own, except for playgrounds.

you really have to go and experience it in order to understand it.

it never took me 50 minutes to get to work in central. i could be in mid-levels (ferry & taxi) in 45 minutes. but i was walking downhill 3-5 minutes to get to the ferry. if the ferry left at 8:18, i left the house at 8:10 with lots of time to spare.

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahHK View Post
    I'm wondering what DB residents can share about the pros/cons of living near ferry Pier vs. Siena club outside the obvious that it is very convenient to live by the ferry for commuting and that there are more shops and services?

Basically, I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay the premium for geography/access when my husband says he doesn't mind a longer commute (to IFC or Exchange Square so walk from ferry in HK) for more space/newer apt/beauty. I typically like to be close to shops/people-watching but I probably will not be working so may have more time to plan a commute within DB and to HK? I don't know those insider things like how frequent and efficient the buses are and if grocery delivery is good, whether there are more playgroups/kindergartens on north side, etc, etc. Any advice?

We are going go look at places in DB on Wednesday along with mid-levels on the opposite end of spectrum. Cannot decide if we want to be in the heart of HK or in DB which is more reminiscent of our California lifestyle now. I appreciated the comparison of DB to Poughkeepsie in a response to a post I wrote earlier asking for moving advice. I can't decide if we want to be somewhere totally different from HK. We've been in Central (near Caine and Upper Albert) for 3 weeks now and I already feel "over" it in the sense I've seen/done it all - is that normal?
    have you actually considered park island? it looks as if you can get the best of your both worlds there.

mariaindb is offline Registered User
    I live in Peninsula Village and have been here for 3 years. From my place to the Plaza and Ferry Pier takes about 7 minutes. Maybe 10 minutes when heavily pregnant! That's walking by the way. If you take the number 7 bus it only takes about 1-2 minutes. I must say though that I live at the beginning of Peninsula Village (closest to the Plaza), so if you end up renting down the far end it'll take another 7 minutes.
    Having been here for 3 years it can't be too bad! But that of course depends on your building, view, neighbours, expectations, etc...! Like Carang said, it's best to come here and see it for yourself. There are no facilities here except parks and playgrounds, but there is the Marina Club down the hill if you want to fork out the cash for that! There's always a nice breeze blowing here on the Peninsula which is great in summer - not so great during a typhoon! And there are less mosquitoes and sandflies compared to other parts of DB - except in the playground up the hill!
    If you live in the Coastline development facing the marina, you will need a couple of dehumidifiers to keep the damp away. If you live in the 3 apartment blocks on Capevale Drive there'll be the occasional drilling/renovating - but that's all over HK anyway!
    Hope this info helps!

SarahHK is offline Registered User
    Thanks to all for your detailed and helpful responses. We visited DB yesterday in the massive rains and still managed to enjoy it and get a "real life" feel for how life might be during rainy season. The tour also demonstrated how family-friendly it is - all the playgrounds, easy strolling, dogs, greenery, etc. As our agent said, DB stands for "dogs and babies."

RileyC - I agree with others that you should visit for yourself - perhaps with a property agent who has a golf cart so you don't need to walk/bus around while heavily pregnant. We did this with agents from Century21 with our toddler in tow and it was very easy to get around. We had a great experience with them and will most likely use them to help us find an apartment this fall. We saw a place in Peninsula village that was further out, and to me it felt remote and off-route to anywhere. However, if you could get a flat that is at the beginning of the village like mariaindb, it is a lovely quiet area and would be nice to walk to plaza.

In the end, we are leaning towards a property closer to pier (these are older and in variable condition depending on previous tenants) for walking distance activities and ferry access or siena (near major bus stops to ferry, tung chung, airport) so that we can still walk through park and siena club for children's activities. our thinking on siena is that if we're going to have to "shuttle" down to ferry pier, we might as well open up our access to other spots. Also, the properties in our price range close to pier (la vista, la costa, seabee lane) were not the loveliest, and my husband would prefer something newer or modern, so we'll roll the dice and see what comes up this fall to suit our geographic preferences, aesthetic tastes, and budget.

Hope this is helpful!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123