Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Medela Breast Pump - Anyone face similar issues?

mariac is offline Registered User

Medela Breast Pump - Anyone face similar issues?

Hi I have a the Medela Swing Single Electric Pump. Initially I used the rubber breastshield but for the last few weeks I felt the seal and suction were both very weak and discovered the rubber had worn out in places. So I switched breastshields and started using a plastic one. The seal is slightly better but not quite and the suction seems to work for the first few minutes and then I feel like it just doesn't get stronger no matter how high I make it. I keep feeling the same faint pull or none at all. I don't know if the breastshield is the wrong size and therefore not forming a seal or if the suction function is simply dying...but before I buy a new pump, I wanted to know if anyone has faced this problem.

Btw, there doesn't seem to be a problem with my milk supply otherwise. When baby feeds directly he seems more than happy and everything fine in that department.

Also, does anyone know where I can rent one of those hospital grade pumps? Are they very efficient?

Hope to hear from people!

rebekah is offline Registered User
    You may need new valves. They are easily replaced and often the cause of low suction.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Also check that the cords are fitted tightly at both the suction cup end and into the machine. I found that mine loosened and then the suction was off. What type of Medela is it? There used to be a Medela shop in Melbourne Plaza that sells all the spare parts. If the suction cup is not fitting firmly (because it has warped from too much steam sterlisiling) then it won't seal properly. I stopped steam sterilising the suction cup part as I had a few that warped. Used boiling water instead for that part only.