Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sore Calves -13 Weeks Pregnant

lmbtv is offline Registered User

Sore Calves -13 Weeks Pregnant

Hello Everyone and thank you in advance for your advice.

I'm just 13 weeks pregnant (first time) and suddenly my calves feel like I've recently run a marathon. I did go for an easy hike this weekend, one that I do quite often with my husband and two dogs. There's no major incline. To be honest it feels hardly like a 'work out' at all. I am conscious of taking it easy due to the pregnancy in general.

Could this possibly be dehydration? Has anyone else experienced unusual soreness in their legs without any additional exertion? I'm so sore that it actually makes it difficult for me to walk normally. I only drink water now, but perhaps not enough?

I was planning to start swimming and prenatal yoga this week. I also wanted to start a gentle cardio routine but now I'm a bit hesitant. I cant imagine how I'll feel after a half hour on the treadmill.

Thanks everyone!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I started getting cramps in the calves in the last 2-3 weeks (I'm 25 weeks), but I don't think it's the same type of soreness you're describing. My cramps come on suddenly and go away quickly. It could be due to dehydration or the fact that our muscles and ligaments are changing from the hormones. Gentle stretching exercises should help (try stretching your calves by propping your toes up on the wall at an angle with your heel against the floor while facing the wall) and I've found that prenatal yoga is excellent for lower back pain.

deliran is offline Registered User
    For about a month or so I also got terrible cramps in my calves and feet if I stretched them at all - it was excruciating, but now thankfully this has gone away (I'm 30 weeks) - but again, I'm not sure this is what you are describing. I have been exercising most days throughout my pregnancy and haven't really noticed any extra muscle pains due to the exercise, but evgreen's idea that your pain could be due to lack of stretching or dehydration is a good one. With how hot it has been, you have to be very careful to drink enough water when you're outside.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    It's also the increased blood volume in our bodies so it is hard to get circulation going down there. My doctor recommended orange juice in the evening before bed...not sure why, but it seemed to help and I would get some massage and do the gentle stretches someone else suggested.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    I would go to see my doctor to make sure it is not something serious like a deep venous thrombosis.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I had the WORST cramps in my first pregnancy. My 2nd was not so bad as I did pilates all through the pregnancy. I think that the stretching REALLY helped. One good stretch for your calves is to stand on a step with your heels over the edge and then drop your heels down.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    The cramps can be lack of potassium, bananas are a good source.

JoyousBaby is offline Registered User
    I have the same problem. I'm in my 13th wk gestation too. It happen especially i went out the day before, I will get this sore....muscle ache kinda pain. So what I did, once home I elevate my legs, massage the calf. Now a days I drink lots of milk and juices hope it helps...