Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Lactose-free Formula as Emergency Feed? Please advise.

HappyMumma is offline Registered User

Lactose-free Formula as Emergency Feed? Please advise.

Hi, my baby and I are here in Shanghai on a visit and we ran out of formula. I searched through the supermarket and the only formula which was not made in China is the Enfamil A+ Lacto-free one (Made in Holland). My baby is not lactose intolerant, but then I am torn between getting the Enfamil A+ made in Guangdong and this one. I only need a day's supply of milk anyway as we are flying back to HK on Thursday. Please advise if it's ok to give my baby the lactose-free milk for a day. Also, what should I expect when it comes to her poo with that type of milk?

Thanks in advance.

Anne1212 is offline Registered User
    I'm no expert but could share related experience.
    Try stretching your last supply of your usual formula by mixing it with the new formula whichever you decided to buy. Don't just switch to a full bottle of new formula as there might be a slight difference in taste of the milk between brands so your baby might pick it up and refuse to take the new milk.
    Once my son had to take lacto-free formula for a bit on doctor's advice when he was sicking up for days. He has also just changed formula. I did it by say for a 200ml bottle, I add 50ml new milk and 150ml original milk to start with. Gave him a couple of that and gradually increase the portion of new milk. For both times he could still tell the taste is different I think as he took less milk during the switch.
    Re your case it's going to be for one day only so don't worry too much if he's taking less milk. He'll make it up afterwards.