Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

chicken pox and pregnancy

ladikmlg is offline Registered User

chicken pox and pregnancy

Does anyone here know what would happen to a baby when pregnant woman get exposed by chicken pox?

AmyH is offline Registered User
    It depends how far along in the pregnancy you are. If you have been exposed to chicken pox and are pregnant it is important to consult a doctor as soon as possible. They will do a blood test to see if you are immune to the virus and if not, an injection can be given to prevent the infection from developing.

ladikmlg is offline Registered User
    this happening to one of my friend, she is around 26 or 28 weeks pregnancy and she got chicken pox and she didnt hospitalize, I am afraid it will affected the baby,and it will contagious to the other people in the house.

Anne1212 is offline Registered User
    Do check with doctor if concerned.
    My husband had chicken pox about a month before our baby was due to be born (he probably got it from a colleague whose child had it). I had chicken pox when I was young so for me it was fine. It wasn't too close to the baby's due date so fine for the baby too.
    If too close to due date then the doctor must be notified as might have complications to baby at birth I think.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    2 of my friends had chicken pox when they were pregnant (a real scare), but babies turned out ok. I was exposed to the virus when I was pregnant, the doctor did the blood test (i was not immuned to it), but there was nothing I could do nor vaccination I could take, so had to wait it out to see if I caught the virus .... turned out to be ok.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    I believe "when" you get the pox is quite important. If it is very late in the pregnancy (i.e. just before delivery) then you have the risk of the child developing something, while if it is earlier (first 20 months) there is a risk of some complications with the baby.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_chicken-...gnancy_9329.bc

As with anything related to questions about a pregnancy, talk to a doctor. It's what they are there for. Get their advice and if needed, the advice of another to make a better decision on what comes next. I certainly would advise your doctor of chicken pox and see if they recommend any additional scans or testing as a result.

Good luck.