Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chicken pox vaccine?

OlympianCity is offline Registered User

Chicken pox vaccine?

Hi, everyone
    i am just curious if anyone 's baby has got the chicken pox vaccine? I am still thinking about it. It's just that Chicken pox seems to be such a minor issue - my brother and i both got it when we were little - so i wonder if it is necessary to jab my baby. I've asked my doctor if it is absolutely necessary.. she told me : "most people who got it just wanted their babies to look nice - meaning they didn't want to see chicken pox scars on their babies' face to affect their look" . . i was like ...seriously? if that was the only reason, i certainly won't care to have my baby to get it! anyone could think of any other reasons why my baby should get it? Thank you !!

rani is offline Administrator
    We had the jab! My little guy was sick quite often when he was baby/toddler. I didn't want him to have to go through CP too. I think we got it when he was around 18mths, as it was going around at his cousin's school.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    We got it. Before there was a vaccine there were about 100 deaths a year in the US and 11,000 hospitalizations annually. Actually can harm adults who haven't had it and my wife doesn't know if she has had them or not (records were sketchy when she grew up). Risks of a shot were outweighed by risks of no shot so we opted to take it. Also don't really like the idea of my kids suffering any more than they have to with a bout of the pox.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Does the vaccination guarantee no chicken pox though? I had it, all my cousins did too and we survived it.

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    It doesn't guarantee no chickenpox if you have the vaccine, but if they do get infected it would only be a very very mild case. We got our kids vaccinated as my niece had it last year aged 5 and ended up in hospital with a complication and was really very ill. It it not necessarily a harmless disease although I know it is in most cases.

miran is offline Registered User
    we havent got it yet because it is relatively mild at young age (usually). plus it gives immunity against all it's family diseases. however, if bub doesnt get it by the time he's ten or so we would get it.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    I don't believe there is any vaccine that guarantees you won't get a disease, just google the vaccine efficacy rates to get a better idea of all major immunizations. What is being seen is that those who get chicken pox after the vaccination generally have a more mild form. I think with chicken pox the initial effective rate in the first year was in the mid-90% not getting the disease, but as time has gone by and more and more people have had the vaccine for a longer period, the rate has dropped into mid-70s or 80% or so.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/291/7/851.abstract

Doctors are now examining the vaccine schedule to see if a booster shot should be recommended.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...ken-pox/?print

There are, of course, people who should NOT get the shot. You can review the CDC's site about the chickenpox vaccine here:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...-varicella.pdf

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    Both my kids have had the chicken pox vaccine and I can assure you their looks were the last thing on my mind. My son has been very sick from a young age and I wanted to give him as much protection as possible, particularly knowing this is one of those childhood diseases that once it infects a school it can potentially go through it for months. In Australia is it one of the prescribed immuninsations at 18 months. I was also told that once my kids have the immunisation any exposure to Chicken Pox would be lessened, particularly as adolescents/adults. It also allegedly prevents those immunised from getting shingles later in life (or lessens the effect, depending on what you read).
    Neither of my children had any ill effects from the vaccine. At the end of the day vaccination is a personal choice, so there is no right or wrong answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast