Has anyone converted from a short term assignment to a long term one and hired a helper? It appears we will be signing a long term contract, but it may not begin until Jan 1. Can we hire a helper in the meantime if we present the long term signed contract along with our short term agreement?

We have a lot to coordinate and I think apartment hunting etc. would be easier without a 3 year old in tow. Just wondered if anyone has done this and if immigration will consider this bonafide residency?