Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pre Natal Yoga

catan is offline Registered User
    Shiva Rea's prenatal yoga DVD is very good, gentle and challenging at the same time. I started at around 20 weeks, did nothing earlier due to miscarriage risk. I didn't have much back pain or swelling during pregnancy.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User
    I have found yoga to be a good way to stretch and help relieve the aches and pains of pregnancy. However, practice with caution, especially if you're new to it. Most prenatal yoga instructors are good at guiding you (even more so in smaller classes) to ensure you're being safe. That said, I recently tried a class at one of the studios and was horrified at the things she had us doing. Not sure if she is actually qualified to teach prenatal classes.... Didn't seem to keep in mind that there's a bump in the way and certain positions simply aren't possible anymore. In a couple of poses I (and baby) felt something just wasn't right and she pushed me to do it anyway, complete opposite to others who always emphasize you should listen to your body and not do anyhing that feels painful or uncomfortable. Another thing that struck me as odd was that she kept telling me off for breathing out my mouth... I know in yoga you should breathe in and out your nose, but all other instructors always say in the last months of pregnancy it's ok to breathe out your mouth instead. At the end she had us doing shoulder stands with no concern for how many weeks pregnant we were or the position of the baby (like others do). Mentioned it to OB today and she said NOT to do that (she was horrified too). Found this online about the topic:

In the third trimester: "Inverted postures such as headstand and shoulderstand are strongly discouraged at this stage because they may adversely affect blood flow to the baby, place undue pressure on the placenta, and increase the risk of the umbilical cord becoming wrapped around the baby's neck. One must consider that not all babies are "athletic" enough to extricate themselves as the amount of relative space in the uterus decreases; or perhaps in women who have had multiple pregnancies and the uterus is more spacious, it may be easier for the baby to flip around but remain in a breech position. The last 8 weeks of pregnancy are a time to encourage the downward flow of energy and the correct downward positioning of the baby's head (Optimal Foetal Positioning) to facilitate labor."

So yes, I would recommend it, but make sure the instructor knows what they're doing!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Andrea, I'm a bit shocked at your experience with the above mentioned yoga instructor. Can't believe she would try pushing you into doing something you weren't comfortable with!

I think there are really mixed views on what's appropriate and inappropriate during pregnancy. As long as you listen to your body, the risk of something going wrong is extremely low. Some people say yoga is ok during first trimester, while others don't. It's very important to know your body's limits. I practiced yoga before my pregnancy so I felt very comfortable with shoulder stands and light twisting positions in my 2nd trimester. I'm now in my 3rd trimester (29 weeks) and baby is growing perfectly fine and already head down.

If I ever got tired in a certain asana, I'd take a breather and come out of it. However, with my third trimester, I'll probably be doing less strenuous poses and focusing on asanas that widen and strengthen my pelvic floor instead.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Andrea -- No shoulder stands! Please don't go back to this teacher -- she will hurt you.
    And do listen to your body. I'm following a very simple prenatal yoga DVD, and I have done yoga before. Still, there is one move that just feels wrong to me, so I don't do it.
    No good yoga teacher would push a student into a painful or uncomfortable pose, even if that person wasn't pregnant.

pepe is offline Registered User
    better quit it and go swimming. Swimming is quite a good way for pregnant woman to execise

AndreaSB is offline Registered User
    Definitely best to listen to my own body and baby. Have found some classes I'm happy with and look forward to class as I need the stretch! Have also tried swimming but it feels really awkward.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    I've been doing pre-natal yoga since my first trimester (after my morning sickness subsided) and I have found it a great way to relax and ease a lot of the stiffness in my hips and lower back. I definitely sleep a lot better after a yoga class. Provided that your instructor is well qualified and knows how to teach yoga for pregnant women, you'll find that yoga is a very good low-impact exercise. The instructors at PURE will also guide you through the all important pelvic floor exercises, which can help you during labour and prevent urinary incontinence. I also believe that the focus on breathing will eventually help me during delivery. I practised yoga very regularly before I got pregnant, so if you will be doing yoga for the very first time as a pregnant woman, just remember to take things slowly and listen to your body. If you're not sure about a certain pose, a pose feels uncomfortable in any way or you just don't understand what is going on, my best advice would be to skip that pose and perhaps ask the instructor for some guidance after the class.

As for yoga studio recommendations, I recommend PURE. They may not be the cheapest in town, but I strongly believe that you often get what you pay for.

Tartan is offline Registered User
    I am indeed that mum whose water broke in yoga class! I did yoga throughout my first pregnancy and really found it so beneficial for both my health and also during labour with all the breathing exercises etc (although i did have epidural). I am continuing to do it through my 2nd pregnancy although who knows if my waters will break again in yoga class! I am doing it at Pure Yoga in the Centrium which is good although the class size is big and so it's not that good if you are new to yoga and need lots of adjustments or even if you want a social class to make friends. I have friends who went to the Yoga Room in Sheung Wan and that was much more social and friendly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12