Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pre Natal Yoga

ms@hk is offline Registered User

Pre Natal Yoga

I know there are old threads on this but none answered my questions

- Is it useful - does someone have experience of benefiting from this

- Is it safe - till what stage in the pregnancy can one do it

- Is there any place good in Hong Kong for this - I know pure has a one off workshop - are there any continuous classes which can teach this safely. I see frequent mentions of Yoga Limbs on the website - but unfortunately that has closed down.

Thanks to anyone who cares to reply.

burrcl is offline Registered User
    Hi, Yes I've found it very useful. Has kept my joints mobile (and also pilates too) throughout, and maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had no pains at all through my pregnancy. You can carry on right up to your due date as proper pre-natal teachers will modify which moves you can do (the women teachers are sometimes better at this than the men as pehaps they understand a bit better!).

Pure in causeway bay has pre-natal classes (taught by Dora), Pure in soho has pilates where they will modify the exercises (and I'm sure the yoga teachers there too will just so long as you tell them you are pregnant - just not tried those ones), plus special pre-natal classes that mix a bit of yoga, pilates and strength work.

A couple of friends went to Anahata Yoga on Lyndhurst terrace and found them to be good too.

Enjoy!

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    I know several people that go to Yoga Room in Sheung Wan and I plan to try it out. I heard you should wait until 12 weeks before starting, but after that it's fine to practice.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I go to Iyengar Yoga Centre of Hong Kong in Sheung Wan. They used to offer a pre-natal class, but now I go the the regular Yoga I class and the instructor modifies the poses so it is appropriate for certain stages of pregnancy. They accept students after 14 weeks of pregnancy. If you're not that set on meeting other pregnant mothers, I highly recommend the Iyengar Yoga Centre. I normally go to the Sunday Yoga I class as there are usually maximum 4 people per session. I've been going there for about a year now. The teachers are highly certified and I absolutely trust them in terms of safety and well-being for myself and baby.

I've found yoga has been really beneficial with preventing back pain. It's also very beneficial for opening up and toning your pelvic floor muscles in anticipation for childbirth.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Pure Yoga at Centrium have 3 classes a week for prenatal yoga. I believe they are on tue, thur and sundays. I used to go to the Sunday classes because they were sooooo relaxing. Tue and Thur were good too. Taught by Neely who specializes in prenatal yoga.

clearwaterbaby is offline Registered User
    Yep, I have also been going to Pure at Centrium. Occasionally other teachers take the class and I really enjoy the variety of styles. Has kept me more limber and is nice as I feel less and less is possible on other exercise fronts. They ask you to wait until 12 weeks to join but then you can keep going until delivery - one girl said her waters broke in class with her first child! It's great to get to know other mums-to-be and I find I am more accepting of the changes in my body and realise that everyone is at their own stage but we all share the experience. I joined Pure just to do pre-natal yoga. You join at one location but if you are doing pre-natal you can go to any of their studios for a pre-natal class and most of the locations have 2 - 3 classes a week. Enjoy!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I went to Amazon and bought a DVD with prenatal yoga by a woman named Shiva Rea.
    I prefer doing it at home, as there is no yoga school near my home or work, and my work hours can be long / irregular.
    I figure it's better to do it regularly at home, than struggle to goonce in a while to class. Plus, it costs much less. I just pop the DVD in whenever I have a spare hour.

The hour workout is slow and gentle. It includes lots of breathing, stretching and pregnancy exercises like Kegels. It avoids positions that would be harmful for pregnant women. Each move is demonstrated by 3 women -- one for each trimester. If you've done yoga before and are in good shape, you can keep to the 1st trimester lady. If you're not flexible or are heavily pregnant, you can do the easier moves with the 3rd trimester lady.

I've found it really helpful. I couldn't do it the first trimester because of a high miscarriage risk, and my doc took me off all exercise. I developed awful back pain.

As soon as I was allowed to exercise and started doing yoga in the 2nd trimester, it mostly went away. Up to about 30 weeks, I could still touch my toes! I can't tell you how helpful that is. :)

Note, though, that I've done yoga before. If you haven't, don't push yourself into positions that feel uncomfortable.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    There's also a prenatal yoga DVD by Karyne Steben, a former Cirque du Soleil acrobrat. But I have to admit that I was intimidated away from that one. I didn't want a hard-core workout. I just wanted to stretch my muscles so I didn't have so much backache / cramps, and to be in decent shape for the birth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast