wah! must say, i am jealous!

this is how i sleep:

1)split air-con is DIRECTLY over me, blowing on HIGH cool 16C
    2)ceiling fan above the bed to direct the cold air onto me
    3) light camisole
    4) very thin blanket/sheet
    5) stand up fan pointed at me
    6) most nights i have an ice pack under my head

i kid you not.... i STILL wake up with a wet pillow and wet camisole because i'm sweating.
    Sounds like your air conditioning isn't working properly.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User
    We sleep with the aircon on otherwise we wouldn't get any sleep, especially now that I'm pregnant. However, I find the room gets too dry and I wake up with a very dry nose, eyes and throat. I know it sounds crazy but I'd like to get a humidifier to moisten the air a little, especially as baby will be rooming in with us for the first few months. Of course, shops in HK have plenty of DEhumidifiers but no humidifiers.

Any idea where I can get a baby friendly humidifier? How do you cope with the dryness of the aircon?

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Sounds like your air conditioning isn't working properly.
    i think its got nothing to do with the air-con working properly or not. Its gentic. Me and my daughter are sweating even with a/c set on 18, but dear hubby is shivering. And our a/c's are very new and work perfect well.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    We in the minority here with TNT & Mummyto3. We very seldom use the air-con at home. Instead we have the floor fans running most of the day. Our flat faces a hill so we do not get the heat from neighbours' air-con units. Sometimes it is breezy. On hot days (32 Celsius up) we may have the air-con on during the hottest times of day (mid-day to late afternoon). Some nights we may have the air-con on in bedrooms for few hours before going to bed, then fans the rest of the night. Same for bub & myself. With the fans on we sleep in very light cotton tank tops and shorts, no blanket or sheet except on rainy nights. This seems to keep us healthy - we almost never have flu or coughs or colds, whereas others around us constantly are.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    nope, our room is freezing! the air con is a brand new (1 yr old) split air con.... i just get INCREDIBLY hot when i sleep. my mum is the same and so is my brother. now, my kids are like this too.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    We use air con as well in all the rooms. I set my daughter's at 24/25 and she seems to be ok except for coughing once in awhile. I'm not sure what to do about that...any suggestions? We have ours a little higher because our room has a bigger unit so even at 26/'s brrrrr...chilly. In the daytime, I usually just have the living room one on and during my daughter's naps in her room. It's too hot in HK to not use it.

Louiseamanda is offline Registered User
    All this depends on the quality of the aircon.

A good modern unit (top quality is Daikin or similar) is not expensive to install in HK. Many flats (even luxury high rentals) have old-style or poor quality old aircon without filters. We add a dust microparticle filter (which must be changed regularly) to the shop filter.

Comp[ared to our last house(also with split aircon) our new aircon is pretty silent, there is no 'jet' of cold air Ilike in shops as you walk-in) which you get with poor quality units.
    The unit diffusely lowers the room temperature. and can be left od 'dry' droplet setting, like other posters say, which lowers the temp.

It is not healthy to have cold air on your body -you will eventually get neuralgia around the head or stiff neck etc.

In addition, most flats in HK I have seen have useless ceiling fans (blades to small, too high up etc)
    We have installed a fan in 2 bedrooms above the bed (bought from Life's a Breeze in Ap Le Chau) but can be bought elsewhere.

I would not use the fan setting on an old aircon box machine -it stinks apart from anything!

I think knowing air quality here, I would be careful about what you set your baby up in.

I notice helpers (ones I've had) dont like aircon, hardly use it, and use fans -they are acclimatised, of course. They see aircon (sensibly) as unhealthy giving respiratory infections/colds/impure air.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda View Post
    It is not healthy to have cold air on your body -you will eventually get neuralgia around the head...
    There is no evidence that Aircons (or cold air) causes Neuralgia:

Cold air can make it more painful for those who suffer from it, but certainly this serious problem is not caused by Aircons.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast