Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Air con - overnight?

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

Air con - overnight?

A question for you all - do you use air conditioning overnight in the summer for your babies?

My mother-in-law is very against this, whereas I tend to think we should leave it on and my wife is more agnostic on the issue. Would welcome other peoples thoughts and opinions.

Currently, the indoor temperature is too hot for me to be comfortable without air-con in the night and day - sometimes we can leave the door/window open and have a nice breeze blow through but this is rare, and not an option at night. When I get up to feed/change her I always have to switch the air-con on or sweat profusely on the sofa.

Our young baby is usually dressed in a loose vest and one-sie. I don't think she really needs a blanket too but sometimes her lower half is loosely covered by a thin cellular blanket.

What do other parents do?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Yes, we use air-con overnight for ALL OF US. Our little house turns into an oven if the air con isn't on in the summer and none of us sleep well with sweat running off our faces. We dress the kiddos warmly and they have blankets so they're fine.

Some Chinese folks I know think that the air con will cause people to get ill. They prefer to leave the windows open at night for "fresh air" but I don't know how the humid air can feel all that fresh.

I've considered getting a "gro-bag" type sleeper for my children--my older child is 3 1/2 and probably would need it more than my younger one as he moves around at night and she doesn't. I actually dress my kiddos in long-sleeved sleepers or two-piece pajama sets so if they kick off the covers they won't get chilled. A onesie is a bit too light for my baby when she's sleeping in the room with us because we keep it pretty chilly in there.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    We leave it on. My youngest daughter (11 months) NEEDS it otherwise she wakes up drenched in sweat. She wears just a onesie to bed and no blanket/grobag etc. Our older daughter (2.5) sleeps in the same room and she has a light sheet on most nights. It can be hard to find the right temperature - not too hot and not too cold, but they definitely need it. I could see it would be a problem if it gets too cold in the bedroom, but our AC only brings the temperature down to something like 25 degrees, just enough to take the edge off the heat really.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    We put it on, opening the window would be noisy where we are and in this weather probably not that effective. I don't put it on cold, it's probably somewhere between 23 and 25 (very unreliable thermostat!) and he sleeps in jammies without a blanket or grobag. To be honest I'm not sure he's ever that bothered by hot or cold, but the air gets very close and stuffy without it.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    We have tried both and she seems happy enough either way. We have the air-con set to 27 or 28 in the day and that's what I leave it on overnight too. I figure plenty of babies survive and thrive in tropical countries like Thailand and the Philippines without any air-con so I have not made a fight of it with the mother-in-law. Was just curious to see what other families do.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    We pretty much have ac on in the house all the time. 6 mth old sleeps in a long sleeve and a grobag. We set ac to 24 degrees
    Posted via Mobile Device

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    we tried both - but our 1 year old sleeps 12 hours with the gro bag and air as opposed to 10hours with the window - easy decision for us! air con on...plus she doesn't wake up with a wet pillow which to me is quite disgusting!

carang is offline Registered User
    i can't imagine ANYONE being expected to sleep without air con in this weather!

very strongly YES from me.... my kids, both like me, prefer to sleep in a very cold room, but with blankets.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast