Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Nanny/helper sought (3-month old baby). Recommendations would be highly appreciated!

bluefish_29 is offline Registered User

Nanny/helper sought (3-month old baby). Recommendations would be highly appreciated!

My husband and I have just arrived in Hong Kong and are looking for a live-in nanny/helper whose main task will be to take care of our 3-month old daughter. Any concrete recommendations or general advice is much appreciated as the recruiting process does appear daunting to HK newcomers!

Given that I will go back to full-time work in September, we need to find a person who could divide her time between childcare and some housekeeping for the first few weeks, but then give full priority to the baby afterwards. Our little one is already very curious and active; she loves looking at picture books, listening to music, going on walks… For me it is very important to know that the person taking care of her will take the time for interactive play (not only making sure she is safe and fed).

Prior experience working with expat families, experience/training in childcare and an excellent level of English (we also speak German and French) are musts. No nationality or age preference. In return, we offer comfortable living arrangements: large bedroom with nice views, full bathroom, and good pay.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    I'm also in the same boat as you. I have never had a live in-nanny but I am going back to work fulltime after my second baby is born in November and I need tips/advice on how to hire a good live in-nanny for my newborn. Are there specific maid agencies that specialize in babies/newborns? Do they take training or CPR classes? Will it be possible to find a mandarin-speaking one? Thanks for any tips!

bluefish_29 is offline Registered User
    Apart from the agencies that seem to provide western-trained nannies (Rent-a-Mum, Nanny Experts -- great but above my budget) I have seen www.babycarers.com but do not know if it is reliable. In general I have had a so-so impression of helper agencies: they seem to work only with helpers still in the Philippines so it takes time for them to arrive here, and those I talked to did not do background checks (for reported education and experience) which I would then anyway have to do. Maybe I am paranoid, this being my first baby, but I am not comfortable with qualifications or recommendations that have not been checked...

For CPR and modern babycare, I am thinking of sending the helper to the Annerley class (http://www.annerley.com.hk/CPRHelpersCourses/) -- it costs something but not more than standard agency fees and would do miracles for my peace of mind.