Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

"China Card" for Permanent Residents Traveling on US Passport

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    having 3 stars only means that you have the rights to remain 'permanently' in HK but it does not mean you are a citizen. apparently the letter codes next to the 3 stars give you away - in the sense that it indicates that you were not born in HK but have spent the required time in HK to become a permanent resident. i am literally the only person in my whole family (including extended) that does not have a return home permit (even though many others were also not born in HK) because they decided to enforce the rules more stringently when i finally got my act together to apply....sucks being me - i have to get a visa to visit china every time!
    Actually, the 3 stars DOES mean "right of abode". If an expat gets a permanent ID card, or if a Chinese national (such as my husband) revokes his nationality, they do not have any stars. They are allowed to live in Hong Kong and work etc, but it's not "right of abode" - they have extra requirements, for example if they are out of HK for more than 3 years, they can have their permanent ID status revoked. Also they are not allowed to have a HKSAR passport or the return home permit.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Pretty sure our kids would have "right of abode", right? Why wouldn't they? They are equally Chinese by descent as they are "American" by descent, right? That makes sense...but I don't know.
    I don't think so, if they are not "Chinese National" they can get the above mentioned permanent ID card but with restrictions. I don't think that immigration classifies it as "right of abode".

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    My daughter has a Hk passport (born here), and American passport (by birth right), and we got her the China Entry card as well....

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    My daughter has a Hk passport (born here), and American passport (by birth right), and we got her the China Entry card as well....
    May I ask what yours and your husband's residency/citizenship status is? How did you go about applying for the Hong Kong passport? Did you register your birth with the US Consulate here?
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

inkmink is offline Registered User
    How did you go about applying for the Hong Kong passport? Did you register your birth with the US Consulate here?
    I believe HK pasport is treated as a "travel document" instead as proof of citizenship. Chinese nationals born in HK can have dual citizenship (or multiple!) but those born in China can only have single unless they renounce their Chinese citizenship. My daughter has HK, UK & Oz passport and we use her HK passport only to enter/exit HK.

To apply for HK passport, you need
    1. Application for HKID
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ROP3.pdf
    2. Application for HKSAR passport
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID842n.pdf
    3. Witness
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID641n.pdf

The forms can be submitted together. However, either make an appointment for submission or arrive really early as the daily quota for submission goes really quickly. You have to bring the child once to the Immigration for them to check the photo to the child.

Best way is like Lesliefu says, to apply HK passport first then the US passport. I just apply all on the same day!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    May I ask what yours and your husband's residency/citizenship status is? How did you go about applying for the Hong Kong passport? Did you register your birth with the US Consulate here?
    Heya! My husband is an American Citizen (HK PR, but not 3 citizen/3 stars). I am a Singaporean.

When my daughter was born, we applied for her HKID and passport. Got her HK citizenship/passport by proving Chinese descent via the grandparents (me and my husband did not qualify). We registered her birth and got her social security card and US passport via the US Consulate.

Went to the China Travel Centre to apply for her China Entry Permit using her HK passport. Heads up though, everything at the Travel Centre was in Chinese (instructions/counters/forms etc) so you need someone who can read Chinese with you.

Hope this helps? :)

catan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post

When my daughter was born, we applied for her HKID and passport. Got her HK citizenship/passport by proving Chinese descent via the grandparents (me and my husband did not qualify).
    How did the Immigration Dept ask about this? I have PR HKID with 3 stars but I'm not eligible for HKSAR passport because I can't prove I'm of Chinese descent. My husband is Indian. So I am wondering whether our child can get HKSAR pp or not.

inkmink is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by catan View Post
    How did the Immigration Dept ask about this? I have PR HKID with 3 stars but I'm not eligible for HKSAR passport because I can't prove I'm of Chinese descent. My husband is Indian. So I am wondering whether our child can get HKSAR pp or not.
    My husband is Australian but I am M'sian Chinese. We don't qualify obviously but like Obiwan, I managed to prove Chinese descent via me. On my birth cert, it states "race - Chinese". But when I submit it HK Immi, they requested more for documents of my father ie passport.

If your child is born in HK and you have 3 star PR HKID, I believe your child qualifies. Check your child's birth cert Item 11 if it states

"2(a), Schedule 1 to the Immigration Ordinance (Cap. 115) established"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast