Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Malaysia Airlines Bans Babies in First Class

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by ssheng View Post
    I can't imagine a kid being so noisy they can get through those mega-earphones the airlines provide.
    Ahh, then you've been very fortunate indeed. But fly enough times and I assure you, you will run into one that will scream with all their might for many hours on end. I dont wish it upon anyone but it does happen with regularity and no amount of noise cancellation will work.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    And we were paying a premium for that reason (same as other Business class passengers) so I guess we were 'entitled' to be there!
    And never mind the premium for the child!! We are taking our baby to Europe with us next month and Cathay are charging $8,000 for his ticket. $8,000 for a bassinet if he still fits in it, otherwise $8,000 to have him sit on my lap for 12 hours... For that price I think we have earned the right for him to cry the whole journey...
    mk2420 and binny4 like this.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I agree with Elle, some adults are more noisy and disruptive than babies. I wouldn't want to bring baby into first class just in case, but I don't see any reason in business as like the above have said, you pay premium for those seats for you and baby...not that we have even gone business with baby. Besides, they're a business, they can do whatever they want.

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    howardcoombs, i must admit I"m a bit surprised with your statements being a parent of 3 children. Havent you had moments where your child just would not stop crying in public?

i just did a 3.5hr flight to Sg and I did fly business with baby and yes for 1 full excruciating hour, my son just would not stop screaming, every one in business gave us dirty looks and to be fair, I have done the exact same thing when I didnt have children. But now, when I fly and some other kid is screaming, I am much more tolerant and have empathy. We have all been there as parents. Besides as another poster mentioned, I paid that premium for that bassinet and the little one doesnt drink a drop of alchohol, watch any movies or eat any of airplane food, I would say their profit margin on my baby is very good!

Surely there must be parents who fly first class ( not me, never seen that cabin before) who happen to have children? Or do they just put their children in business class whilst they sit in 1st?

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stimemum View Post
    Surely there must be parents who fly first class ( not me, never seen that cabin before) who happen to have children? Or do they just put their children in business class whilst they sit in 1st?
    I have a friend who travels business and puts her child with the helper in economy.

[QUOTE=1stimemum;1082021]howardcoombs, i must admit I"m a bit surprised with your statements being a parent of 3 children. Havent you had moments where your child just would not stop crying in public? [/QUOTE
    Ofcourse I've had my share of screaming, but luckily never on an airplane.

Even if it ever did happen in an airplane, it would never have happened in Business nor First.
    a) we never fly first (just too expensive)
    b) I dont believe kids should be allowed in business. Its called business for a reason (its for business travellers) and I would not waste my money buying a business ticket for a kid who wont benefit from any of the perks.

i just did a 3.5hr flight to Sg and I did fly business with baby and yes for 1 full excruciating hour, my son just would not stop screaming, every one in business gave us dirty looks and to be fair, I have done the exact same thing when I didnt have children. But now, when I fly and some other kid is screaming, I am much more tolerant and have empathy. We have all been there as parents. Besides as another poster mentioned, I paid that premium for that bassinet and the little one doesnt drink a drop of alchohol, watch any movies or eat any of airplane food, I would say their profit margin on my baby is very good!
    What does profit margin have to do with common courtesy and keeping the peace for all customers? An airline should not tolerate a peace-disturbing passanger no matter what the age or the profit margin; I certainly wont and most definitely not in premium classes of travel.

*boggle*
    Stick the kids in economy. Its simple, easy and much cheaper

An update to this old story : Now for some kid free zones in Economy:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/malay...-planes-2012-4

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Malaysia Airlines is just another company in an increasing number of companies who are going the "Child Free" route--including cinemas, grocery stores, restaurants and hotels.

The no-kids-allowed movement is spreading

I think it reflects the overall selfishness of our culture--no one can be inconvenienced for anyone else and $$ talks and means more. I think this is combined with some very poor parenting skills that have become common as well.

I remember going to restaurants as a child and there was a certain standard of behavior that was expected and enforced by my parents and if we didn't meet it, you can be sure my mother would haul us right out of there--either to sit in the car or there were times when we simply just left the restaurant altogether because we (the children) weren't complying. I also remember my baby sister making a huge mess at the table and my mother requesting a broom and cleaning up the mess HERSELF after the meal--this was standard--she didn't leave the work to the staff. There are parents who really do not know how to (or are unwilling to) reign in their unruly children. And the sad part is that all parents get lumped into that category.

But, when it comes to babies--especially young babies--there really isn't much that can be done sometimes. I think in general people have become so self-focused that they can't give a little bit (or a lot of) tolerance in these cases. But it's an "i generation." Have everything "your way."

I think it would benefit society more if people could make a little sacrifice for the good of the community because if you have children you tend to have more compassion and if you don't, know that that parent sitting next to you who is doing their best to parent is actually doing our world a favor as they're bringing up the next generation.

Hong Kong is one of the most child and family-unfriendly places, I think in this regard. Children are not catered for here at all. A quick look at the parks and recreational facilities or restaurants or public bathrooms definitely gives that impression. But, then again, the child birth-rate is so low here that children are pretty much a negligible consideration for most of the public.

So, Malaysia Airlines is only responding to a customer desire and that reflects more about the customers than about Malaysia Airlines.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast