Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playpen for 9 month old ??

dpmother is offline Registered User

Playpen for 9 month old ??

our lil one is almost 9 months old & is all over the place....
    exploring & inventing new things ....

wondering if a playpen is a good idea to invest in ???
    just that if iam away doing some work in the kitchen
    & can't keep an eye on her movements....

will it be safe, practical & economical choice ?
    If yes which ones are a good choice to buy ?

or any other pointers on this situation ??

thanks in advance !

Anne1212 is offline Registered User
    I got given 2 playpens, one in our much bigger flat in Beijing and smaller flat in HK, great if our son could stay there while I pop into the kitchen or toilet etc... but both of them were only lightly used and ended up turned into a toy storage! My little one just wouldn't stay there and just wanted to get out the minute I put him in. Started younger than 9 months definitely and tried ways to get him 'bond' with the playpen e.g. play with him while he's in there so he wouldn't think time in there equal abandonment, but didn't work.
    At the end I childproofed the flats like covering up shape corners or edges etc. Drawer locks only for those drawers with dangerous or small stuff into. He soon learned how to not get his fingers caught...
    My mum swears by playpens. Different for different child I guess.
    A friend of mine fenced off the childproofed living room instead of having an actual playpen. Worked for her twins.

thanks anne1212 for ur inputs.....

would like to hear what other smart moms did during this new mobile phase of the baby.....

do pour in your experiences :)

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Babyproof, babyproof, babyproof!

I believe in letting them explore in a safe, secure setting, where they can learn and interact. Playpens seem so inhuman to me. These are little people we're talking about. It's so good for them to learn by exploring their environments!

mariaindb is offline Registered User
    Playpens are good for short periods of time. Perfect when you want to have a shower, do some cooking, etc... I don't leave my daughter in for longer than half an hour at a time. Just two or three times a day while I get stuff done. If you have a wooden playpen with vertical slats/poles, this also helps them pull themselves up to aid standing/walking.
    Maybe I'm a bit conservative or old-school - I agree with Anne1212's mum!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    definitely works for some kids and not others - had one for my 1st kid...who's really quite and not a great mover, the play pen was to keep the dog away from her. had one for the 2nd kid...who's a MOVER and she just doesn't like it, so the end we have child proofed / moved away things etc. that are "dangerous"...the dog is isolated in the kitchen (poor thing) but only when I am busy with chores, otherwise everyone can "explore" together - dog, babies and all.

the one i have is collapsable but very safe - you can get it from bumps to babes.

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    we child proofed as much as possible. and set the gate up in the kids' room which is child proofed. it's like a bigger play pen. only when i needed to attend to something, like toilet, bath... the kids stay there. other than that, they r free to explore.
    Posted via Mobile Device

where can i get these babyproof things from ???
    my lil one just opened the drawers yesterday...
    with one hand just on the drawer edge & other hand on the handle to close it......
    my heart just popped out with terror.... i better get the furniture in place....before a new adventure arises.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast