Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Airlines - ticketing requirements for infants

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

Airlines - ticketing requirements for infants

Hello all

Well the time has come for us to start travelling with our baby. I am getting very confused with what ticketing requirements are needed.

I was under the impression that you could fly with a baby for free if it sits in your lap. However, that does not seem to be the case. Delta says this:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ares/index.jsp

When a ticket Is required

You'll need to purchase a ticket for your child when you:

* Have a child that is age two or older.
    * Prefer the child to sit in a seat in order to travel in an approved restraint.
    * Have a second child, regardless of age, and you already have a child who will be sitting in your lap.1
    * Want your child to earn miles in his SkyMiles account.
    * Will be traveling between countries regardless of whether or not the child occupies a seat.
    Cathay says this

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ravel/children

Infant fare will be charged when an infant travels with a parent / guardian and the infant does not occupy a seat
    However, neither Delta nor Cathay appear to offer any way to book infants through their websites. Delta just lets you put in passengers (no distinction adult/child/infant) and Cathay have adult/child 2-11 years old.

Zuji is no good either

Flight booking for infants can only be done by contacting the airline directly. This is due to recent IATA regulations to impose e-ticketing, and many airlines are yet to turn on the e-ticketing facility for infant bookings .
    I tried with my Asia Miles, which DOES let you choose infant but wants the whole adult Miles charged for the infant, which is a bit excessive!

Has anyone had any luck booking recently?

miran is offline Registered User
    Hi,

Either our agent buys infant ticket for us. Or we have gone to CX counter a few days / hours before with our tickets. They would issue the infant ticket and "attach" it to one of the adults. They prefer if you have the infant's passport with you (a wrong spelling could make ticket invalid). But we have once got this infant ticket without passport as well.

Havent booked through asiamiles for same reasons stated by you above. Infant ticket is usually much cheaper than an adult one.

Am not sure how Delta does it but have travelled on CX, SQ and Thai with an infant ticket. Hope this helps.

catan is offline Registered User
    I called Singapore Airlines directly to ask, and was told that I have to purchase an 'infant ticket', which cost HKD 780. However, I already have a ticket for myself so they just add on this infant ticket and put in a request for a bassinet if I want it. Some airline websites do have the option of choosing infant as a traveler, but not the flight websites like kayak.com.

Thank you both. I just got through to Cathay (a minor miracle, normally I spend hours on hold) and they advised I should book the adult tickets on the web, and then call them up to "add on" the infant. They quoted HK$1,412 for the infant ticket.

I also asked if I could purchase the adult tickets using my Asia Miles, then call up and give them the booking reference and buy the infant ticket. They said this would be fine.

carang is offline Registered User
    infants are not free (unless you are travelling domestic flights in north america, on some airlines0, they are generally 10% of a full fare, but this can vary with the carrier on international flights.

Just found expedia.com do allow you to specify infants, and it does seem to work properly. Delta only charge US$40 for an infant ticket, a lot less than Cathay.

carang is offline Registered User
    yeah, but then you are flying an american airline.....ick!

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Yeah, infants cost usually 10% of the adult ticket. Most online flight booking companies don't let you book infants. You can on Virgin though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast