Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Urgent need to admit to a Preschool for 3 years old for this FALL

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I wanted to make myself clear, too. I'm not saying that local schools are right for everyone, or even most people. And I'm not saying that everyone has to learn Cantonese.
    Whether you choose local, ESF or international, it's up to you.
    Like Cara, I was just opening up the idea that local education is not an impossibility, esp. for families who want to be in HK for the long run.
    Personally, I don't even know where my own (expected) baby will end up, schooling wise!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by starbucks2 View Post
    Totally agree that it depends on the family and the child. All I said was it was much harder if the parents don't speak Chinese. And I totally stand by that (both before and after the usual heated opinionated posts).
    Have you put any of your kids thru local schools? What parts did you find to be "much harder" ? Which school was it?

HC

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    HC - obviously its harder because you can't give them help with their Chinese homework or generally with their Chinese language skills unless you also learn the language at the same time. Surely you can see that?! I'll say it again for those in the back row who were snoozing, I can see it is a great option for some families especially if as parents you (a) speak Chinese (one or both parents) or have time/interest to allocate to learning the language yourself, (b) have a commitment to the region (c) have the additional cash to pay for additional tutors for your kids (although I appreciate that net net it may be cheaper for a local school than an international school and therefore the difference could go to tutors - our schooling allowance doesn't work that way). We do not fall into any of the categories (a) to (c) and will be happy to go with an education system that will fit best with our home country when we return.

Perhaps we can agree to disagree on this one and let the OP decide for themselves what works best for them (and you and I can decide what best works for us respectively).

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    You are missing the OP's question : they are looking for K1. Your points *may* be valid for primary education but completely miss the mark when talking about kindergarten. Furthermore, your school allowance is irrelevant to the OP.

As for K1 : there is practically no homework, no tutors necessary, parents dont have to learn anything and if OP wants to change 1 year later they can.

OP can only decide what is best for them if they are given accurate information.
    Carang has put her 2c in as she has put her kids thru the system; I've added my bit to the conversation as I've put 3 of mine thru the system.

You failed to answer my question : Have you put any of your kids thru local schools? Which kindergarten did you find so tough and challenging that required tutors?

whendg is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    oh, yeah.... it costs $817/month/child for full day school and is free for 1/2 day.
    carang - this may be a silly question but the $817 - is that HKD?

carang is offline Registered User
    yes it is.... 1/2 day is free this year.

so far, our kids have attended this school for 3 years and every year the price has gone down... don't know if that will be the case for next year, too...the price also includes lunch at school for the whole day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123