Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Urgent need to admit to a Preschool for 3 years old for this FALL

Jacolio is offline Registered User

Urgent need to admit to a Preschool for 3 years old for this FALL

Hi, we just arrived Hong Hong from NYC a week ago and need to place our 3 yrs old daughter in preschool for this fall. I guess in HK standard she will be in K1. We called and visited some international schools but all have a long wait list. Anyone could give me advice on how to find one. We are flexible in location as we have not found an apt yet. But easy access by public transportation will be good. Kowloon Tong or Hong Kong Island. Also, we are only familiar with the international school but is interested in good local kindergartens as well.

Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Stephanie

geomum is offline Registered User
    My daughter goes to Woodlands Montessori Pre-school at Caine Road, (Hong Kong island) she is 3.3 yrs old. Very happy with the school and will keep her there till she gets admission in a kindergarten. We applied for K1 last year and she is on waiting list at the moment. Do a school tour.

carang is offline Registered User
    my two kids go to a local kindergarten in sai kung. we are all very happy with it, in september our son will attend a local primary school, too.

they use only cantonese, but there are quite a few western and mixed children in their classes. at my daughter's table, there is her (a mix), a little black girl, a couple of chinese and a little white girl.

by the end of the first year, my girl can sing some chinese songs and count in chinese, as can the other non-chinese speaking kids. by the end of the 3rd year, my son is writing/reading some chinese and able to converse at the playground in chinese.

personally, i think it is an excellent opportunity for the kids to learn chinese.

oh, yeah.... it costs $817/month/child for full day school and is free for 1/2 day.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I think its a great idea to go to a local school but I think a lot harder if neither parent speaks Chinese.

there are LOTS of western kids at my children's kindergarten. the school is used to having western, non-chinese speaking, kids in their school. they even send notices home in english or chinese depeding on what the parents request.

if the kids are in whole day, they have time to work with the teacher to finish their chinese writing etc.

i think that many people automatically discount local schools with the excuse that "no one speaks chinese" at home. it's too bad as the kids miss out on such a great opportunity...

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by starbucks2 View Post
    I think its a great idea to go to a local school but I think a lot harder if neither parent speaks Chinese.
    I put 3 kids thru local schools with 2 western parents. I would agree with you for primary but for Kindergarten, its a non issue. They are learning some basic characters and singing songs. Cantonese parents are really not necessary fro K

geomum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by starbucks2 View Post
    Definitely agree with Starbucks2, I know at least 3 families were the kids are struggling in local schools (Kindergarten & Primary) because parents are both non- cantonese speaking. Beyond school their exposure to chinese is very limited.

if their exposure to chinese is not continued out of school... then who is to blame? it's not like there are no chinese activities around! my kids have a cantonese speaking swimming teacher, go to art classes and african drum classes in chinese.... why? because i want to increase their exposure.

parents need to follow through.

what do you think the chinese speaking parents who send their kids to english speaking schools go through?

sometimes i sense a very euro/ameri-centric view from expats.

my mum used to say that nothing worth having/doing was easy.

i could just as easily point out 15 families where the english speaking kids are thriving in a local kindergarten! and not one of them has a chinese parent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast