Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

losing post pregnancy weight !!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AudreysMom View Post
    Has anyone tried those postnatal post-pregnancy girdles/belts that you wear after delivering? I have to wonder if those things actually work, and if so, which brand do you girls recommend? The belly bandit from the USA sells for over 1000 HKD and it seems like a scam. Anyone tried it? Thoughts anyone?
    I have a BellyBandit and I liked it for wearing right after my daughter was born. I liked it more for the back support than anything else and it helped keep my hips in place a bit more as my body adjusted back after having the baby. I am not sure if it helped much with the belly but it did support my internal organs as they were shifting back into place so I felt more comfortable.

The thing with the BellyBandit is that you will probably need at least 2-3 different sizes because you shrink down so fast after you give birth. I also wasn't wearing 24/7. I only wore it when I went out of the house.

In the States, the BellyBandit isn't as expensive but everything in HK is marked up a lot higher. I bought mine online and had my mom bring it from the States when she made a trip after my daughter was born.

I think there are no "miracle products" when it comes to things like this so the BellyBandit isn't going to solve all your problems but it will support your stomach and probably make your back feel better. The reason why I bought it is because I'm not "Asian-sized" and I wanted to buy something from the States I was sure would fit. You can find similar products in HK. Also, the BellyBandit has a really soft product made from Bamboo which is a bit antibacterial and wicks water which is important in the HK humidity and heat.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

catan is offline Registered User
    I'm using a post natal girdle now, and have done so since the third day post partum. Like evgreen said, it's supposed to help the uterus shrink, and also get your shape back. I also have tailbone pain from delivery and the nurse told me to bind more tightly to improve posture. For me it's comfortable, especially in the days after birth, the loose belly felt so weird. I got mine at a maternity store called Gennie's, it was about $500. I'm sure you can get these for less than that though.

As for weight loss, I'm so fatigued with caring for baby, I can't imagine starting to exercise again, even going for a walk. How long did you ladies take afterwards before feeling like you did before pregnancy?

Biggie is offline Registered User
    @ Catan
    I don't think I will ever feel like how I feel before pregnancy. It's an irreversible process! Weight might go away but your body is different. Not to mention the energy spent on caring for the kids and the psychological change once you are a mom.
    Posted via Mobile Device

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    With my first child, I gained a lot of weight during pregnancy. In total, I gained about 40 kilos! When he was born I had some serious health problems due to loss of blood when including back problems so I could barely move, let alone exercise for about 6 months. During that time I had severe post-partum depression as well and my eating habits were not good. I was also breastfeeding and because of some hormonal things it was nearly impossible to shed weight while I was breastfeeding--it seems that women either have one of two experiences with breastfeeding--either it helps them shed pounds effortlessly or it makes them retain weight. So, I kept on the weight and even gained more weight until my son was about 8-months-old and I decided I wanted to start losing weight.

I started watching what I ate, swimming and jogging. Then when my son was about 13-months-old, I went back to work. Going back to work was the best thing for me for weight loss because it put me on a schedule which restricted when I could eat and also it made me get out of the house and walk, walk, walk. I don't know how much weight I actually lost but I had dropped about 4-5 clothes sizes by the time my son was about 18-months-old.

I stopped weighing myself because I realized weight was arbitrary to me--it didn't mean much anymore (especially since after breastfeeding my breasts were a lot bigger so I would never be exactly the same weight again). I never got down to my pre-baby weight before I got pregnant again last year when my eldest was about 2 1/2-years-old. Now my youngest is 3 1/2-months-old and I initially lost about 10-15 kilos of weight after she was born but haven't really lost any weight since then. I think that it will take stopping breastfeeding before I can really start to lose any dramatic weight. If I start reducing my calorie intake it makes my milk supply more difficult to maintain so I am just going to invest in a good girdle for now!
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    If anyone wants a girdle, I have one that I was going to chuck in the charity bin - it was in a "pregnancy pack" thing that I bought when I was pregnant with my first daughter 3 years ago and I only ever tried it a few times but couldn't stand having something around my tummy. I'd donate it to one of you guys though if you'll get some use out of it. Just PM me.

dpmother is offline Registered User
    thank you so much ladies for the wonderful answers....i hope i can shed some pounds soon...with all the tips passed on by you all.....

wondering if someone can guide me with a diet plan (iam a vegetarian).

yes... rest iam sure getting back to some serious workout soon...swimming jogging :)
    GYM the best option ??? pls pour in ur inputs !!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by catan View Post
    I'm using a post natal girdle now, and have done so since the third day post partum. Like evgreen said, it's supposed to help the uterus shrink, and also get your shape back. I also have tailbone pain from delivery and the nurse told me to bind more tightly to improve posture. For me it's comfortable, especially in the days after birth, the loose belly felt so weird. I got mine at a maternity store called Gennie's, it was about $500. I'm sure you can get these for less than that though.
    Hi catan...where is Gennie's? Would like to check it out. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12