Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby due in Sept - still possible to find a place to deliver in HK hospital?

loveask is offline Registered User
    U can have a baby at a public hospital as long as u have a hkid... Any type is accepted. (don't need 3 stars!).

First go to an mchc (call to make an appointment) to register n confirm you can deliver there.

charade is offline Registered User
    You don't need to be a permanent resident to deliver at a public hospital. You don't need to have stars on your HKID. I didn't. I am on a dependent visa exactly like you. The non-local expectant mothers does seem to refer to Mainland mothers, unfair as that is. Go to the Hospital Authority link and figure out which is your closest public hospital and call them to book an ante-natal appointment. By the way, if you turn up at a public hospital emergency room in labour, they would have to take you in. But better to register and go through the system.

meimeid is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, TST
    Hi there!

I am exactly in the same situation as you are. Just arrived in HK and due in Sept.
    First you have to make an appointment with a private obgyn. Let him/her write you a referral letter which you can bring along to the nearest public hospital (which is Pamela Youde for you I believe). Go there personally with your HKID and an address proof to register and book your first appointment. They can't deny you. Once you are registered you can give birth there against public costs.

When I tried calling they told me the same, but when you go there they will accept you, because you are entitled to public care with your HKID.

Private hospitals will be a different matter, as that depends on availability and also the obgyn you are seeing. I was told by mine that if I do not want an elective c-section I will not make a chance. Hate this system as it all seems to revolve around trying to earn as much money as possible in the most effective way.

So good luck and if you have any questions, just PM me.

Vache is offline Registered User
    Taikoo Shin
    Thanks to you all for your information. The latest information I got from Saint Paul Hospital is consistent with what Meimeid just wrote. I have set an appointment for this coming Monday with a doctor, who will hopefully refer me to Pamela Youde hospital in Chai Wan.

Thank you again!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    Definition of eligible and non-eligible are clearly spelled out here:

If you are eligible, you will not be turned away. Whether you are Permanent, Dependent, Student, Domestic Helper, Employment Visa etc does not matter. All of these categories are eligible.

syl38 is offline Registered User
    Kennedy Town
    Chances of getting a private hospital this late into pregnancy regardless of which OB you go to will be very slim. When I tried to book a private hospital when I was 6 weeks (i am now 14 weeks), i only had 1 choice and it was the most expensive Mathilda. You will be able to go to a public hospital but make sure you check with your OB as not all will/ can deliver at public hospitals. The experience, according to my friends, is also more traumatic. You basically wait in a big room with everyone until you are ready to pop. I am also a Singaporean and due early Jan. I'm going home for better care at a fraction of the cost! Good luck!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    One of my relatives delivered at St-Paul, and it was fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12