Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby due in Sept - still possible to find a place to deliver in HK hospital?

Vache is offline Registered User

Baby due in Sept - still possible to find a place to deliver in HK hospital?

Hi,

I just relocated to HK from Singapore last week and my second baby is due in the first half of September. Before moving, my husband was assured that HK public hospitals would let me deliver the baby, provided that I have a HK ID card (which I just got). However, I started to make calls to set an appointment with a doctor and I am being told that all hospitals are full and that they would not accept me. I tried a few private hospitals as well and I got the same response.

I am started to get worried about my situation. From your experience, do you know if it is still possible to deliver my baby in a HK hospital, public or private?

Thank you.

Note: we will live in Taikoo Shing

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    find an OBGYN and have them find a space for you. it will be much easier for them to find a space just as long as you're not picky about where you want (of course not in shatin) to deliver - having said that both public and private services are great in HK so i wouldn't worry at all. good luck

Gracey is offline Registered User
    It's probably too late for a private hospital -- those fill up fast. But I haven't heard of a public hospital rejecting a legal HK resident. Does anyone know if they can even legally do that?

If you're in TKS, I presume your local public hospital would be Pamela Youde, or maybe Tung Wah? Have you tried those?

Vache is offline Registered User
    Thank you both for your reply.

By legal resident, do you mean permanent resident? Or do you include foreigners holding an HK ID (as is my case)? My husband holds a work permit and I am on a dependent visa.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    From my limited understanding, just because you have a HKID card doesn't mean you have the right to access/give birth in a public HK hospital. You only have such a right if and only if you are a permanent resident of HK. Your HK ID card must have stars on it. Otherwise you are a temporary resident only and have no guaranteed right to the hospitals. That said, I know some smaller less-well-known private hospitals might take you but you should start calling them up right away! Good luck and I hope you find a place soon!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    If everyone who had a valid HKID could get a public hospital booking, then mainland mothers married to HK men shouldn't have problems booking either - but they do, unfortunately.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I don't know anything about public hospitals in HK (I went private) but I'd be extremely surprised if they would turn you away when you were about to give birth if you hold a HKID card. Which public hospitals did you call to see if there was space? It might be better to find out which public hospital is the right one for your area and just go to see them directly. That way you can speak to the person in charge and find out exactly what the situation is.

There is a pamplet here from the Hospital Board about antenatal visits etc:

http://www.ha.org.hk/haho/ho/conjoint/131027e.pdf

There was also some information on new procedures in place for "non local expectant mothers" which I took to mean Mainland mothers but I could be wrong (unhelpfully "non local expectant mothers was not defined) as I don't think it applies to those with HKID cards.

I agree with the above about private hospitals, people who are only 12 weeks along are being put on the wait list for Matilda and Adventist.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    Agree with lesliefu. See a private obstetrician right away and have him/her write you a referral note to a public hospital. I had a HKID based on my work permit and was entitled to a public hospital bed. However this was when I was 12 weeks' pregnant, back in 2008. For you, the problem may not be legal entitlement but simply full bookings especially due to the new Hospital Authority rulings. If I am not mistaken, I suspect your chances of securing a public hospital bed are better than private - the latter are often full even for newly-pregnant women. However your obstetrician should be able to advise. Worst case scenario is to go to A&E when your labour starts (unfortunately) which is what some mainland Chinese women are threatening to do. At your advanced stage of pregnancy you are probably best off having your check ups with a private obstetrician. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast