Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Banned from breastfeeding at hotel

erina320 is offline Registered User
    The whole notion if being against nursing seems counterintuitive to me. What a shame! And a relatively modern concept to be anti-breastfeeding at that, as formula wasn't really widely used and marketed until the 1950's.

I always felt nursing your baby leaned more to the conservative side as it ties the Mom a bit more to a motherly role... I know this is not necessarily true with the advent of the breast pump and many working Mom's nurse their LO's now days but still... and formula frees a woman up to working out of the house.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    NAME AND SHAME this establishment for sure...write to all the papers. You were being discreet by using a cover and I'm sure no one was bothered by it. Who makes a policy AGAINST breastfeeding. Sure, they can do whatever they want, but you were feeding your hungry baby. Would they rather have a screaming baby? LLL should also be notified. Breastfeeding is being encouraged by the HK public system...why not get everyone on board?

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Thank you everyone. I'm loving this whole Name & Shame business! I talked to LLL and the woman over the phone was surprised.

So write this down people: The hotel is Park Lane right above Ikea in Causeway Bay.

They will be feeling the wrath of a woman scorned!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    I'm very surprised to read about this place, as I've been there many times, while breastfeeding... and even meeting there with some other bf mums ! It might be just one employee problem, but it's worth letting them know about it. I'm quite sure they have no problem with BF mums there. If you contact them I'd be interested to know what their answer is....

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Let 'em know and you can sign my name to that letter too. Total BS and that employee should be reprimanded as well. I will never go to that place--or any other that is not BF friendly. They need to evolve a bit.

And my reaction would have been at least as strong as yours. I just don't tolerate that sort of thing anymore now that I've been in HK awhile. My view is that they "work for me", not the other way around--as long as I'm the paying customer.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Good on you for standing up for yourself and doing what you know is right rather than slinking away in shame. I had a similar thing happen on government property no less (a museum) and I just ignored the security guard who was trying to shoo me away and eventually told her on no uncertain terms not to disturb my baby and I. She eventually backed down and left me alone.

If you fail to get a satisfactory response from hotel management, maybe organise a peaceful nurse-in?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    It could just be a young / inexperienced / ignorant staff person. It's worth it to find out if the hotel actually has a policy, or if it's just a fluke. Writing a letter to them will force them to bring up the issue.

Ozmerc -- Once I got in trouble at a government museum for taking notes in a notepad! So, yes, sometimes these mini-crackdowns are just random.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Yeah lets organise a 'nurse-in' I'll be there for sure and can round up a few more BF mamas too! That'll show em (or just get us in a lot of trouble hehe).

Seriously though, this does make me really really sad. What has happened to the world? Why is it ok to show breasts in a sexual nature (TV, magazines, beaches etc.) but not for their natural purpose of nurturing a baby?

I would be so angry if this happened to my baby and I. He isn't really interested in solids yet so BM is his only food source. I'm not going to deprive my baby so my only option would be to leave :(

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast