Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Confinement lady

Clee912 is offline Registered User

Confinement lady

Shouting out to all moms out there! I am desperately looking for a confinement lady to aid me during the first month post delivery. I am a firm believer on eating well and taking care of myself and the baby during the first month ( which my in laws are disagreeing). Any recommendations on GOOD recommended confinement ladies available 1st of November , I would be deeply grateful!!!!!!! i m new to hk and have exhausted alot of means of looking for one. I do not trust agents as they are just agents and would not have first hand experience. If any moms out there could reach out and let me know if there are any good confinement ladies not yet snagged up yet, please do PM me!!! THANKS!!!!

missidealiste is offline Registered User

Watever you do, just don't order confinement food delivery. I had a nightmare.. It was a disaster. I wanted to do Chinese confinement but since I don't have family here, and no domestic helper. It was just easy to order cooked food from terreform. I bought their 15K hkd package, thinking that mind as well do the best.. I'm a strong believer in food remedy as well. But I felt dizzy first morning I had their food.. After 3 days of calls and doctors appointments -when i should be resting really! Later to find out that they gave be "cooling" food... I almost got them to court ... Anyway .. Here my advice to you:

Since you still have time, I reckon you just buy confinement cook books and trained your domestic helper. Hire one if you don't have one yet. That's the most cost effective and smart way. No more fuss. here why

After 3 days of wrong food intake... I hired a confinement lady. She was a nightmare! She bossed me around, stole my food, claimed $$ on things she didn't buy, or if she did buy it she won't have a receipt to justify it. As she claimed she bought it at the wet market but, it turned out to be much more expensive than if she have got it at Jusco... All in all, if you were to hire a confinement lady, she better got good reference. Mine was hired thru an agency. I was desperate and hired a "leftover" lady. I knew she was not the best but never thought she can be trouble !

thundacatchergo is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Clee912 View Post
    I am a firm believer on eating well and taking care of myself and the baby during the first month ( which my in laws are disagreeing). THANKS!!!!
    why just the first month?

Jzlyn is offline Registered User

Chinese confinement practices believe that a woman's body is still weak in the first 30 days after birth so the mommy needs to eat nutritious food to recover. Confinement nannies also help look after the babies, doing night feeds or bringing baby to mother for feeding so that the mother and get ample rest in the first month to recover from child birth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Jzlyn is offline Registered User

Clee not sure where you are from, I'm Singaporean personally I'd fly someone in from SG or Malaysia to do confinement. I don't speak Cantonese so I'm not sure if the locals here have the same practices.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Clee912 is offline Registered User

I am from Brunei, close to Singapore and contemplated flying someone in from Malaysia however my husband was not keen on that idea stating that this foreign person whom i know nothing of will be invading our space for a month. We will be getting a domestic helper however he feels thats enough foreign people living at our place. I have had a few recommendations through relatives and will be interviewing them soon. If I do come across someone good and had a good experience with them I will definitely keep everyone in touch with them. Thanks so much for the advice!! Jzlyn & missidealiste.

Pinksnowdrops is offline Registered User

Possible help/advice

Hello there,
    Just registered with this site - I'd be glad to be of assistance to someone in HK who may need advice/help re birth and pregnancy.

I am coming over to HK from UK in October for only a month at the moment - my husband works in HK. So when I am over, it has been pretty quiet for me previously and recently I just thought that my skills may be of use, on my next visits, to someone in HK who did not have the required support, for whatever reason.

just thought I may be of some assistance to someone - I'm an experienced midwife and mum of four adult offspring, all breast fed and normal deliveries. I am not looking for work per se in a hospital, but more of a pregnancy/birth supporter role for individual parents. If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to help.