Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

bus commute for a child

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

bus commute for a child

maybe i'm a little bit late to post this thread for my 2 year old son. i was waiting for him to speak some words before i put him in a nursery but he still hasn't spoken any solid words yet. some friends have been telling me to enrol him into nursery so that he can start picking up words from school.

i'm looking into lingnan nursery and my concern is the bus commute from kennedy town to lingnan (causeway bay). does the commute affect the child much or is it better to stick to closer schools to kennedy town?

any comments appreciated. thanks!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    my daughter will take the school bus from August onwards since it's more convenient with 2 other kids at home. having said that though i don't know how she will adjust...according to the teachers they will eventually enjoy it alot because a lot of there friends do the same. when you say bus commute are you referring to school bus?

my sisters daughter has motion sickness - threw up for the first 6mths of school and then finally adjusted. is your son like that? nothing to do with schooling though....

i think any "school" at this age would be beneficial to your child in terms of getting exposure and learning from peers. for the past year, i've just put my daughter in a school 2 mins drive from my home, cause it was SO convenient for anyone to just take her. unfortunately i want her to learn more Cantonese and so have decided to switch schools, if not, she'd still be at the same school - which she's developed a great rapport with the teachers and classmates...
    Last edited by lesliefu; 07-07-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    thanks lesliefu! you are right - i think he will actually enjoy the bus ride :)

another question: how was your daughter on her first day of nursery? i know that situations depend on individual children but i still wanted a bit of feedback/reassurance. he is very attached to us and we take him to playgroups where one of us accompanies him so to go alone to a nursery with many strange faces, i feel like he wont like it. it took him 3 months to get used to his playgroup!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    surprisingly my daughter only took 3 days to adjust to nursery....one thing that helped was that the school slowly increased the hours at school...say 1 hour for 1st week, 2hours for 2nd week and full day (well 3hours) starting 3rd week.

also you need to decide who takes her to school too - i had my husband take her to school the first week as she is very attached to me and would "cry" just to "cry" if I were to "abandon her....with my husband, it was more or less straightforward - no attachment syndrome at all. she'd even wave goodbye. one thing that did help was that we always said "mommy / daddy will come pick you up later" rather than "goodbye" which sounds very final - think that made her feel better. also, we make it a big point that she has a backpack and that only "big" girls have it, not her younger sister...so now she is very happy to where her 'backpack' and go to school, whilst her sis stays at home!

as a side note - i took her to gym class for 1/2 a year and she would have fun, but wouldn't try new things, but since i got pregnant i had my helper take her instead - the teachers at the gym class are telling me stay away now because with me around she is too "comfortable" but without me there she will do everything - literally everything numerous times! so...things may just turn out for the better - you never know! :)