Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Any experience in bringing Mainland Chinese helper to HK?

carang is offline Registered User
    no, they have relocated here to live with family and are NOT here on work permits. it is VERY difficult for a mainlander to migrate to hk and there is a VERY long waiting list.

immigration will not in any way allow you to bring your mainland helper to hk. it may even be difficult for her to obtain a visitor visa.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Carang is right. There are some mainland migrants, but it's complicated -- many are Southern Chinese with family roots here. Then there's whole issue of quotas, cross-border marriages, etc.

Any reason you wouldn't just hire a FDH, and then a Mandarin tutor? Are you very attached to this one person?

I don't think the tourist visa thing is a good idea. She'd be in big trouble if she was caught. Plus, would she commute back and forth to Guangdong or something? Coming from SH, she might feel really lost.

vale is offline Registered User
    I guess I have to give up. Many many thanks for all your feedbacks.
    Yes, we are very attached to her. She is the perfect helper and most importantly she is an amazing person. The decision to move back to HK was very sudden and with a toddler and a newborn I was counting on the help of someone I trust. Plus I underestimated the immigration issue and we already made a lot of plans with her.. She was counting on it. Luckily, on my side, in HK is not that hard to find a good domestic helper. A Mandarin tutor is something I will consider but it sounds a bit forced to have someone teaching Mandarin to such a small kid. Playing with a Mandarin speaking helper is just playing, seeing a tutor is more like studying and I don't like to put such a pressure on a toddler.. but I guess there are ways to make it fun. Maybe I will ask you all about that when the time comes. Now we need to find a place, a kindergarten ..and a maid of course! :)

carang is offline Registered User
    just specify to the tutor that you are looking for someone to play with your child.

i used to tutor many children in hk through play....i am still in contact with some of them....16 years later!

There is no shortage of Mandarin-language playgroups, kids activities, etc. in HK.
    You can also just get a Mandarin-speaking babysitter in to play.
    For ex, our office secretary hired one of our young expat interns as a PT "English-speaking playmate" as she felt that formal tutoring would be too much for her young child.

And there is also no shortage of good, professional English-speaking helpers. But do note that you should start the hiring process 2+ months in advance. I recommend the Arrow agency.

It's too bad about your SH helper. Many people want to come here, but very few know how stringent the immigration laws are, since the mainland media keeps emphasizing how HK is part of China now.
    The laws are understandable, though -- it's a physically small city and can only absorb a tiny percentage of people from China.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12