Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Children traveling with two passports

kacoak is offline Registered User

Children traveling with two passports

Hi, this is the first time we will be doing this, so I'm not sure what the proper way is to travel with two passports. I'm wondering if anyone who's done this before can enlighten me.

My two children are US citizens and have US passports. Their HK dependent visa stamps are affixed on these. I've recently applied for Indonesian passport for them (I'm Indonesian citizen) as we will be living in HK for awhile and will definitely travel to Jakarta a lot to visit my parents (for convenience really - not looking forward to spending hours lining up for the visa-on-arrival with a toddler and infant in tow).

Since their HK visas are on their US passports, I'm thinking it would make sense to present their US passports at immigration as we leave and when we come back to HK. However when arriving at, and leaving, Jakarta, we can present their Indonesian passport.

Also not sure what passports will be required at check-in for our flights... Either way, each kid will travel with both passports, but I'm just not sure if what I described above is the right way to present the passport at immigration in both countries... Thoughts?

AngieO is offline Registered User
    That's what you do. If you are flying you give them both passports at check in (they can see you have a visa for the country you are visiting). When you leave HK (go through immigration) you give them the US passport with the HK visa in it. Then when you arrive in Jakarta you give the Indonesian passport. Same goes for coming back. When you are booking flights, sometimes they ask for passport numbers. In that case you give the the details of the passport you will be traveling on (i.e. the one you will use in the country you are visiting.)

Hope this helps. My kids both have 2 passports, which means I always have to carry 5!

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Remember which passport you used for check-in and present the same passport at the boarding gate when departing Hong Kong. They do crosscheck the details right before you board so this will avoid confusion and hold-up.

kacoak is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for the replies!