Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help - how do I get my baby to drink water?

Liquorice is offline Registered User

He doesn't seem to like juice either so I guess that is good. I'll keep with just getting water into him, however I can, until he gets used to it.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Hang in there with the water drinking. Before my son turned one he hated water, but after 1 and now at 2, he drinks so much of it! Just keep offering it to him. I would tend to stay away from juice for now as you wouldn't want your baby to get used to diluted juice and then refusing water even more!

bonita is offline Registered User

My daughter, now 21 months, has never used a sippy cup, instead she has been using straws in adult glasses or drinking bottles with straw since 8 months old. As for solid food, try to incorporate more liquid into the solid meals, like soup, stew. Also try watermelon as a source of liquid.

bonita is offline Registered User

Oh, try adding several drops of lemon juice into the water. Sometimes, just that slight hint of taste makes a huge difference (& it doesn't add sugar like fruit juices)

catan is offline Registered User

I read in The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning that if baby objects to formula, you can try to mix breastmilk with a small amount of formula first, and then gradually increase the proportion of formula with each bottle until baby accepts formula on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Bella View Post
    My baby girl is 9 months old and she's the opposite, she loves water but dislike milk. She doesn't like to drink from a bottle any type of a bottle, basically she's not drinking any milk during the day if I don't breast feed her, which is a real worry. All babies should have at least 500ml -600ml of milk intake a day, but she's taking less than 200ml. She can't get enough of water whenever I give her. I've tried to put milk in the cups or bottles, but she rejected them instantly the minute she knew it's milk. I like to stop breast feeding completely but how could i do it if she doesn't take the formula at all? if anyone has any ideas as what I should do to get her to drink formula, please share.
    I started giving water to my daughter with a spoon when I started the solids, she loved water from the very start. May be you can try with a spoon when you feed her solids with each meal. Just try it hopefully this will work. Good luck!

chiuchiuchiu32 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by bonita View Post
    Oh, try adding several drops of lemon juice into the water. Sometimes, just that slight hint of taste makes a huge difference (& it doesn't add sugar like fruit juices)
    it works? By adding some juice to it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12