Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Live-out helper, good idea?

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    our helper does the groceries shopping. every morning, we discuss what we would like for meals and she writes them down. she goes off gets the food, comes back and cooks.

our helper is like a housemate. she is welcomed to use everything in our home and eat anything we have. at meals, we eat together like friends do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    We're expecting a baby in less than 2 months, but decided on a live-out helper.
    Yes, we know it's not allowed, but it is common practice in HK.
    We want our privacy, and so does she We mutually agreed on this in advance before signing papers. We see her more as an individual and childcare employee, than a live-in maid. She does not do outside PT work, and has a set schedule of work hours.
    I think she had a bad live-in experience before, and now wants time in her own home, as humble as it is. (She shares an outside flat with 2 other maids. It has 2 bedrooms, with bunk beds, and a small shared kitchen and living room).
    I can understand. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in my office!
    Here's how much it costs per month, approximately
    Salary -- HK 4000
    Health insurance -- HK 700
    Housing -- HK 1500
    Food -- HK 800
    Transport -- HK 300
    Total -- HK 7300 / mo.

Pros: We have our privacy, and our helper is happy with the arrangement
    Cons: It costs more.
    She won't be here at night. However, we really want to care for our own child. Plus, we mostly do our own cooking. For us, a helper is to help -- to do housekeeping, or to babysit if my husband and I are not around.
    We both grew up in families without helpers. So we're grateful for the 40-50 hours / week we get.

I'm not disparaging people with live-in helpers. I'm just stating what we personally preferred to do.

missidealiste is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Gracey: i have been thinking having live out maid as well. Thanks for your insight. you mentioned "a set of schedule" can you share what's the like? And what's the 700$transport fee for? Is her boarding apt far from where u live?

Hong Kong
    Miss Idealiste -- The transport fee is HK 300 / month, which is HK 10 a day. Actually, it should cost her a little less than that to get to and from our house (HK 200-250 / month) but sometimes we send her out on errands, so the extra 50-100 is for that. She lives pretty close to our home.

Just a warning -- As Cara often points out here, having a live-out maid is a calculated risk. I don't want to encourage people just because we decided to take that risk. I've personally not heard of anyone being punished for it, but your contract will state that your helper lives at home.

We also agreed to it because
    * She's lived in HK before
    * She has a network of close family here, who helped her find a decent place to live
    * She has a network of church friends here, who do the same
    * She seems mature and stable -- she's married with a child back home
    * She really seemed keen on living out

Another girl we were considering was much younger and had never lived in HK before. I don't know if I would trust her to live out. After all, if anything happens to her -- she gets sick, pregnant, etc. -- you are responsible.

Hong Kong
    Right now, her set schedule is very light, since the baby is not here yet. But we want to discipline her to work at set times every day, just to make a habit of it.
    When the baby comes, we will extend the hours.
    And when I go back to work, she will definitely have to be here for all the hours that I am away -- so at least 9-10 hours a day.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    why do you pay $700/month for insurance? shouldn't that be per year?

knupssy is offline Registered User
    Mid Levels
    I just hired one few months ago and everything work well. We also felt not comfortable with breaking the law and yes food allowance is 740...
    For us everything works well. She starts early and it is definitely good to have someone able to work at 6am when needed extra sleep. I don't have any privacy issues so far. She just closes her door at 8pm unless I asked her to do anything (like looking after my son if we go out). Usually she always works in another room than the one I am...
    Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12