Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live-out helper, good idea?

AudreysMom is offline Registered User

Live-out helper, good idea?

I am new to hiring a helper. I am not used to the lack of privacy that comes with having a helper live-in, but with a husband who travels quite a but, i will need full time help as I have a 19 month old and a newborn coming in November. Has anyone hired a full time live-out helper? Do you pay them the same as a live-in? Should I hire 2 part-timers: one to cook and one to clean? Thanks for your thoughts.

missidealiste is offline Registered User
    Live out is illegal. On immigration paper state clearly that your DH should live with you. But still a lot of people are still doing it for convenience. Most Helpers I have encountered prefer to live-out anyway as they can make extra $$ by doing part-time job. And also, say if she lives with you, who likes to be waking up at night because your baby needs to change diapers...

The cost? If they were to live out, you would need to pay for their boarding apartment and food allowance of 300$/month. The housing price varies from 900hkd to 1800hkd- that was amount I was quoted when I did interview with different DH.

Thing is you want her to stay a more decent place, you don't want her to get sick and bring the bacteria to your home, rite?

carang is offline Registered User
    i've had three helpers. all have lived-in. i have never felt a lack of privacy from any of them. it all comes down to who you hire. the only thing that i can't do now is walk around the house in my underwear.... not a big deal to give it up.

food allowance is NOT $300... it is $740 ( i believe, or it could be $780)...

i never offered any of our helpers the option of living out. i, personally, don't feel comfortable breaking that law (and also opening up the possibility that they will work part-time, also illegal). i NEED my helper. i don't want to risk being banned from hiring one in the future if i get caught breaking the law.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I think after the end of June, food allowance went up to 780. We have a live in helper and it's so much more convenient especially if you are expecting a new baby in November. Our helper has been amazing since our second baby was born. Just helps out while you're feeding new baby often to have someone take care of the older baby.

carang is offline Registered User
    thanks, i thought it might have gone up...

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    definitely have her live-in...especially if you have a new born. i do the night shifts and the morning shifts my helpers does (6am) and if she were to live-out, i just can't imagine having her arrive at my place before then...especially since I'd need her to cook dinner for my older one before you left (say around 8pm) - the day would be too too long and insane for anyone! If you are not picky about food - i would stick with one for now . having 2 would be hard (unless they are relatives like mine) because you don't know if their personalities clash or not. i have an auntie and a niece that work together and that is great because the auntie recommended the niece and there is a certain level of hierarchy already - because of their relationship, rather than because of their individual charactertistics which I personally don't think you should be dealing with now at this point in time....already too much on your plate!

Thanks for your input! I guess the benefits of live in outweigh the cons after all.

Missidealist - yes good point about cleanliness if she lived out. With a newborn I'd like my home to be as sterile as possible and if she's coming and going from the HK streets she might be less clean than if she lived in.

I think lesliefu's schedule is good- I can do the night shift and she covers the early morning shift.

What about grocery shopping during the day? Do you usually send the maid? Then expect her to cook? Or do you do market shopping yourself and ask the maid to cook? And does the maid have her own separate fridge or does she share the food that the rest of the family eats?
    Last edited by AudreysMom; 07-12-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Banane76- *Thanks for the book recommendation about hiring a domestic helper. I will definitely be on the lookout for it.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I know a lot is common sense but i guess have so many concerns because of all the horror stories I hear from my friends. Like a maid who gave a baby her toes to suck on to calm him down or maids "working" on their days off in wan chai. I know there are good ones and not so good ones... But managing a person who shares your personal living space can definitely be challenging if your personalities don't mesh. Maybe I will consult the Chinese book and make sure we have compatible zodiac signs. HAHA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast