Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new helper- in a dilemma

sandy0741 is offline Registered User

new helper- in a dilemma

Just seeking advice from everyone, I am in need of a helper and have found 1 to look after my son, but this helper(Indonesian) is available only in october, I have paid for it at the agency yesterday , but later in the evening,i received another call about another maid in H.K , I interviewed her and like her for the reason that she can cook well, especially Indian food which the first one that I signed the contract cannot cook, and I have to spend time training her for this (but I am also not good at it too),But now I am thinking whether to hire this Indian helper or back to the Indonesian one.
    1. First I have paid the agency fee for the other helper already and the fee is non-refundable.
    2. This second helper available in HK has worked for her previous employer for 1 yr and 8 months and her contract is terminated. She has to leave next week.
    3. The reason for the termination according to her is that her employer's previous helper is coming back, but when I ask for reference , she told me her boss told her that she is free to find any job anywhere but he doesn't want any calls from her or her new employer (which I find strange!) Later, when I call upon her again and ask if she will give me the reference letter or phone, she said her boss has left for England - for this reason, I am a bit suspicious about her and don't know I need to believe in what she says and what caused her termination.

Can anyone give any advice to me?

carang is offline Registered User
    if you are not happy with your first choice, then cancel the contract. you can still use the same agency to find a different helper.

for the second one, i wouldn't hire her if she paid me.

sandy0741 is offline Registered User
    yes, you are right, but for the first one,she hasn't arrived yet, so need to wait until October, but I am still not sure for the second one, she is very polite and nice, so don't really know why she is not willing to tell me about her previous employers.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    You've met this person already. What does your heart and head tell you? Those who have not met her will not have that extra perspective.

She may not be able to get a reference for many reasons. I would ask her for honesty and I would tell her that I dont believe her excuse. Then I would decide based on her response.

carang is offline Registered User
    you don't need to wait until october to cancel the contract. you can just tell the agency you've changed your mind.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i would be careful about hiring a helper without a reference, unless she is recommended by a friend etc. we did that and the helper, who was actually great (on the surface) stole from us and had these weird habits (waking up at 4am to "move" things") that our existing helper told us about. of course we terminated her before her probation was up as she was creating bad morale at the home and the other helper was unable to sleep / talk with her (as we wanted them to work as a team) and it was at that time our suspicions were all confirmed (stealing cause we lost clothes, jewellery) the reason for no reference was that her former employer did not want to be disturbed and then was very busy on business trips. the scary part is she worked part time for my sis and we all bought into her game - that she was a great cleaner / cook / honest. etc. just be careful.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    NEVER EVER hire a helper who has been terminated without speaking to their employer regardless of what your heart and mind tells you. We've gone through our fair share and now insist on speaking to at least the last two employers if they have been here that long.

1 year and 8 months into the contract and the helper was terminated... 4 months short of ending the contract. A little bit suss. Warning bells go off in my head.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasimother View Post
    NEVER EVER hire a helper who has been terminated without speaking to their employer regardless of what your heart and mind tells you.
    Why? Why would you not give her the benefit of the doubt and listen to her story first and then decide.
    There are thousands of abused maids with contracts terminated by horrible employers. With your reasoning, you would just send them back without even giving them a chance to tell their side of the situation.

1 year and 8 months into the contract and the helper was terminated... 4 months short of ending the contract. A little bit suss. Warning bells go off in my head.
    Yup, me too.
    My warning bells tell me that either:
    a) she was a bad helper and got caught doing something bad
    or
    b) she had a horrible employer and she couldnt take it anymore

By talking to her, you will find out more and perhaps correct a wrong.
    With a "NEVER EVER" attitude, you would be making baseless assumptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast