Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

trapped....please suggest some solution

miran is offline Registered User
    After lodging complaint with EDB, you can also go to small tribunal. Please find details here:

http://www.judiciary.gov.hk/en/crt_s...lt/html/sc.htm

There is not much cumbersome paperwork here and you wouldnt need a lawyer. I know people who have filed with small tribunal - most cases get settled out of court. This would also impress upon the school how serious you are about getting your money back.

Prima-facei they should refund the deposi because you are on waitlist. If you had got a seat and cancelled the non-refind clause would apply.

All the best.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2000 View Post
    when i asked for the refund, they say that now they have a seat...i told them i have already withdrawn and dont need the seat. now today the [email protected]#[email protected]$ lady their said that "the deposit was for waiting list also...and we nromally return it after a year, if a seat does not become available in that year".....
    now can someone on earth tell me how can they say something like this?? she just laughs on phone when i argue and it makes my blood boil......

firstly they did not give me the seat...like a effing cheap restaurant..they gave confirmations to other parents who paid first and put me on waiting list before the last day...........i am disgusted.........

i dont want to name the school here but if this does not get resolved..i will def. do it.

where in education dept. can i complain? do u think i shall try calling police too

here is what I have..

1. letter from school. admission done and deposit to me given within a week. date: 13th June 2011. (depsoit non-refundible, BUT effing should'nt it be a confirmed seat!!!!)
    2. an email from them saying deposit to be paid on or before 20th June
    3. their email saying I am on waiting list
    4. my email last week , me asking them to withdraw me from wait list and give me deposit back since i did get any seat.

this thing is getting on my nerves now! i feel robbed and cheated ...twice
    You did receive an email stating that you are on a waitlist and yet, they made you pay a deposit although they offered you a place (at the beginning) and you emailed last week to say you wanted the deposit? They would be obliged to return the deposit (especially if there is nothing written to state that you had a seat until the phonecall!)

I would file at the Small Claims Tribunal just to inconvenience them. They probably would return to deposit to avoid going to court.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    ok thanks all...

I would do that....i am thinking that going to small claims etc...would'nt it make it an ego-issue?
    they can always come up with things written on a paper with theur official logo and saying deposit even for waiting list is non-refundable. etc etc
    although it sucks!
    imagine how can I school just give a seat to someone else who would pay before you.....they interviewed and gave confirmations which were more than the number of seats...then they allocated seats to whoever paid first and put me on waiting list
    i am going to go their and talk to them...will warn about EDB and also education board complaint.....

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I agree with Quasimother. If the school management had any brains at all, they will be intimidated by your going to the Small Claims Tribunal and the EDB. They'd probably rather settle with you (for them HK 9,000 is small) than risk having to pay a lawyer or get tangled with the government.

It's shameful the way schools treat parents in HK. And I can't believe one of the staff laughed at you on the phone.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Did you write an official letter to the school principal? Anything official looking like that might help your case.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Why don't you name and shame? Or contact the media. It's outrageous how they treated you! I think the problem all arises from the lack of enough school places in HK. There have been articles in the paper on that recently.

thanks all.

to imagine the horror i have been through, i emailed the principal of elementary section on 20th june when all this fiasco started.
    they did not connect me to the principal saying that she is busy etc. after a few emails, she got back and said " i am responsible for the learning and educational outcomes and not so much involved in the "fiscal management""
    i was so frustrated, i called her and finally was able to speak.
    she was kind of indifferent saying that this is admission office job and said that she referred my case to cheif business officer
    after that day, i did not call them. i email them begining of june and there was no reply...then i got into this other school, paid my deposit. i then asked this 1st school to refund. i always thought they would be ashamed and would do the least by returning my deposit!!
    well the girl simply said, "sorry sir...the deposit is non-refundable" and then we started the same argument on how and why they put me on waiting list...i was getting mad and she was cool and calm. laughed at few times..and said "sorry" a few times........
    i am going to their office today and hope it gets settled soon...as it has been proving quite bad for my sleep lately
    thanks for your support...i will update all of you today

i have a few emails with the admission office and prinicipal. but no letter or anything like that

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast