Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

trapped....please suggest some solution

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Is there any reason that you are keeping their name confidential still?
    Name and Shame works wonders sometimes.

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    Hey :)
    I mentioned in the post above

American International School in Kowloon Tong

all, please read my posts and tell me if I have some chance in the small tribunal

some experts here...please tell me legally

what does "within 7 days from the date of this letter" means...date of letter 13th June

I do have an email saing 20th June. but the official letter says above

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    The school is being absolutely unprofessional.
    If the deadline falls on the day you paid up then, by my limited experience of international schools and ESF, that is how it is. They can't say that you are on the waitlist. We had DC call us on the last day of the acceptance to chase up whether or not we wanted our spot. So, ABSOLUTELY unprofessional of the administration department of the American International.

Keep at it! We're all behind you! Good Luck!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

matemate is offline Registered User
    rs2000, i have a few suggestions:

first of all, if you were a man i would say 'grow some balls'. the way you argue here in a very convoluted way, your whole tone of your postings, that facts that slowly appear over the course of your 10 postings, all this makes me cringe and tells me that you are not a very calm person who can think calm and clearly. stay calm, analyze the situation with a clear head. it will help you and your health.

on the case, we just learned in your last posting (a bit late but thanks for telling us):
    a) the school offered you a spot if you pay before 20th june
    b) on 20th june they sent you an email saying the rescind the offer
    c) you then went ahead, transferred the money anyway (why??? they already told you that the seat is gone!) to force them to give you a seat, which of course they can't because they had already taken back their offer
    d) now they keep your money with the argument that you paid for the waiting list

my initial conclusion:
    - by telling you on the phone that the seat is gone, they have clearly and indisputably rescinded their offer (why you transferred the money anyway will remain a mystery to me forever)
    - yes, it is very unprofessional from the school to give away your seat before the 20th june without giving you a chance to pay and redeem the original offer – but it’s not illegal. In contract law, one party can rescind their offer at any time before it was taken up and the contract was confirmed.

my questions to you:
    - Was there any interaction between you (or your family) and the school from 13th june to 19th june?
    - When they told you on the phone on 20th june that the seat is gone, did anyone tell you that if you pay anyway, they would consider this as a downpayment for waiting list? Or did anyone tell you that the school has a policy that any payment that is made after the seats are gone, would be considered as a downpayment for the waiting list?

If the answer to the above two questions is ‘No’ and ‘No’, then the school has clearly not made a new offer to you for a waiting list spot and has to return the deposit to you (with interest if they pay late). However, in this case you need to send a letter to the school, lay down the argument like above and give them a deadline (e.g. one week?) to return the deposit and clearly tell them what happens if they pay late (e.g. interest of x% p.a.). Write this letter today and send it by registered mail.

And for gods sake, stay calm and level-headed.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I won't be like MateMate and tell you grow some balls! But MateMate has a point.
    I just recognized your name from the other thread. So you're dealing with this ridiculous school problem, plus a newborn, plus a difficult older child, plus a new helper who's not quite working out! It's understandable why you are so upset and frazzled.
    Before you contact anyone -- the school, the small claims tribunal, the education dept -- you have to make sure that you have all your facts straight.
    Write up a chronological list of what was said, by whom, and when. Clearly state how you were wronged. And then clearly state what you want done -- do you just want your deposit back and that's it?
    Write up something that is one page long, conscise, factual and to the point.
    It must be a hard time for you. Is there any clear-headed person who can help you look over your notes? Is this something a spouse or maybe a legally-minded friend can help you with?
    If you have a legit complaint, you don't want them to dismiss it because you seem emotional or erratic to them.

miran is offline Registered User
    rs2000 - if EDB sees your point you probably have a fighting case. whether you win or not no one can say for sure.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your inputs. As Gracey mentioned above, there is a lot going on around here and It is sometime making me very very frustrated. I have been talking to them, emailing them and have been seeing them bahving like a**holes and coming up with new excuses everyday.

first of all, the above listed facts are all true, except that they did not even mail me to tell that they have given the vacant seat to someone else.

I was in the bank and about to transfer money on 20th June, I called them to tell that we have accepted the offer and wil pay the deposit shortly. I heard a innocent voice telling me that sorry we are full. I explained the whole story again and obviously was VERY upset. In order to refute the claim that I have not paid within time, I went ahead and paid. I later mailed and called them the same day and argued several times that they cant just take the offer back.
    (i know the above behavior might not be the best course of action but if you imagine yourself standing in the queue of the cashier and suddenly being told that you dont have ANY option for the school year starting in 2 months....)

Nobody clarified to me that day that I will be paying for being put on the waiting list and my idea was to just make them realize there blunder and get a confirmed seat for my kid.

In the end , they did not agree and I just went ahead and pursued other options and schools (you can again imagine the frustration I have been through in the past 2.5 weeks)
    I have asked around but I havent been able to find a person who is a legal expert or is experienced enough to help me put up my case. Please if someone here can help me, it would be great. I would be greatful if you could read up my leter and application for the small claims, education department and also to the school. I will be really greatful if someone can just proof read my letter and give his/her valuable suggestions.

Thanks again for the support.................

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast