Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

trapped....please suggest some solution

rs2000 is offline Registered User

trapped....please suggest some solution

Hi All,

I feel very very frustrated and upset right now. I feel I have been robbed off my money.

We applied to a school in Kowloong Tong and were intereviewed and given the confirmation letter on 13th June. The letter said that we have to pay the deposit within a week. We also got an email from the school saying the same and that we need to pay on or before 20th June.

The school does not have a bus to where we live and hence I took some time to find about the bus. Anyways, I paid on 20th June around 11 am and called the school to confirm. and also emailed them.

Well, they told me "sorry, you are on waiting list as some other parents paid before you". I was shocked and disgusted. i called them 15 times that day and tried to explain that how can our seat be given to someone else when the email said 20th June. well i was given different explanations and sometimes they just said "sorry you are on waiting list"

I was very worried as we did not have anyother option...so we interviewed in another school and got the admission. I chose that school and paid the deposit there.
    I mailed the 1st school to check the admission status and there was no answer for a few days.
    Now the problem starts...i called the 1st school and said that since I am on waiting list and was not given the seat when I paid. I want to withdraw and get my deposit back
    they very innocently said "well the deposit is non-refundible" i was quite shocked again. i explained how they never gave me the seat and I was on waiting list , how can they take my deposit.
    now I have been calling them several times for the past 8 days and I am always given some reasoning or otherwise asked to wait (so that they can get back later).
    when I ask that can I meet the prinicpal or someone senior, they say that most of them are on vacation

its 9,000 hk$ and its not a small amount for me. I have to pay the fees at the other school. its so frustrating at the way they are behaving. i am just amazed at how can a school do something like this.

Please suggest me what shall I do. what are my options. I will go and speak to them tomorrow but they always make me speak to these girls in admission office who just laugh and say sorry after hearing my story.

can I complain in education department or police (as a last resort). i am very very very upset :(

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Yes. You can lodge a complaint to the EDB.
    Find a statement in their paperwork to you asking for the non-refundable deposit.
    If it is clearly stated, you have no choice but to forgo the deposit.
    But since you are on a waitlist, there should not have been a request for the deposit and you should have rightfully received a refund. Print a dated page of their website too regarding enrolment procedure re:deposit.

Is it an international school? If so, yes, possible, everyone is on holidays. If it's a DSS or local school, the Principal is there, just not wanting to deal with the situation.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

No school has the legal right to keep your deposit and put you on a waitlist! Can I just ask which school this is? EDB should be informed of their dodgy practice. They could lose their license!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

the paper says " the deposit is non-refundible"
    But its for securing the seat and which I was never given! i was soo worried and was ran around and found a better school and paid there
    how can they do something like that to me? it just makes me feel sick

when i asked for the refund, they say that now they have a seat...i told them i have already withdrawn and dont need the seat. now today the [email protected]#[email protected]$ lady their said that "the deposit was for waiting list also...and we nromally return it after a year, if a seat does not become available in that year".....
    now can someone on earth tell me how can they say something like this?? she just laughs on phone when i argue and it makes my blood boil......

firstly they did not give me the seat...like a effing cheap restaurant..they gave confirmations to other parents who paid first and put me on waiting list before the last day...........i am disgusted.........

i dont want to name the school here but if this does not get resolved..i will def. do it.

where in education dept. can i complain? do u think i shall try calling police too

here is what I have..

1. letter from school. admission done and deposit to me given within a week. date: 13th June 2011. (depsoit non-refundible, BUT effing should'nt it be a confirmed seat!!!!)
    2. an email from them saying deposit to be paid on or before 20th June
    3. their email saying I am on waiting list
    4. my email last week , me asking them to withdraw me from wait list and give me deposit back since i did get any seat.

this thing is getting on my nerves now! i feel robbed and cheated ...twice

Quote Originally Posted by rs2000 View Post
    the paper says " the deposit is non-refundible"
    But its for securing the seat and which I was never given! i was soo worried and was ran around and found a better school and paid there
    how can they do something like that to me? it just makes me feel sick

when i asked for the refund, they say that now they have a seat...i told them i have already withdrawn and dont need the seat. now today the [email protected]#[email protected]$ lady their said that "the deposit was for waiting list also...and we nromally return it after a year, if a seat does not become available in that year".....
    now can someone on earth tell me how can they say something like this?? she just laughs on phone when i argue and it makes my blood boil......

firstly they did not give me the seat...like a effing cheap restaurant..they gave confirmations to other parents who paid first and put me on waiting list before the last day...........i am disgusted.........

i dont want to name the school here but if this does not get resolved..i will def. do it.

where in education dept. can i complain? do u think i shall try calling police too

here is what I have..

1. letter from school. admission done and deposit to me given within a week. date: 13th June 2011. (depsoit non-refundible, BUT effing should'nt it be a confirmed seat!!!!)
    2. an email from them saying deposit to be paid on or before 20th June
    3. their email saying I am on waiting list
    4. my email last week , me asking them to withdraw me from wait list and give me deposit back since i did get any seat.

this thing is getting on my nerves now! i feel robbed and cheated ...twice
    their website does not have anything about the deposit! and i fear they will print another paper and write whatever they can sayign its a school policy!
    :-(

Does it state that the deposit is for a seat? If so, then they MUST refund the deposit if they cannot offer you a place right now.

I really don't know where you need to go. But this school is clearly a rogue school which has misled you.
    I would take the letter to the school and ask (demand) for a place or the deposit back. Can you stop the cheque?

i already paid on 20th June and cant stop it
    the problem is that i have paid in another school (which i think is better too) and now i dont want to be on the waiting list or get their seat.
    They now say that they can offer a seat to me (25 days after paying the money and after I told them I need a refund). they had put me on waiting list before that....well i dont need the seat. the deposit was for instance seat confirmation..not waiting list...

which @##@@#$ing school in world would ask to pay 9k hk$ to be put on the wating list (now sometime they say it was for waiting list).........
    :-(

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast