Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Matilda Midwife/Nurse Experiences?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Just curious -- if the doctor is not actually there for the birth, if he didn't actually deliver the baby, do you still pay the full doctor's fee?

catan is offline Registered User
    Yes.. for me, I developed a hematoma and needed stitches, so when the doctor came, she delivered the placenta, and dealt with those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    Just curious -- if the doctor is not actually there for the birth, if he didn't actually deliver the baby, do you still pay the full doctor's fee?

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    Great, thanks for sharing everyone! I find it really helpful to know more about the midwives roles. I'm considering using a doula and this aids in the decision making process :D

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    I had a very positive experience with the mid-wives for my first delivery in Matilda. The mid-wife on duty when I was delivering was excellent (she has left for Australia btw). She was checking in on me regularly enough (but not excessive), and when it was time to push she guided me through the entire process and every contraction/push, until the obgyn and the paediatrician came in to the room at the last push.

With my second delivery at HK Sanatorium, the experience was a little different. My OBGYN and Paediatrician (both are the same with the first delivery) were with me in the room right from the first push and my OBGYN guided me with the push, the mid-wive didn't have to do anything.

All-in-all, we had good experiences with both Matilda and HK Sanatorium, though they are quite different. Think the former is better for first time parents, and second better for experienced ones.

*jellybean* is offline Registered User
    Once the baby is delivered, do the midwives help with things other than breastfeeding? E.g. teach first time parents about diaper changing, bathing, burping, swaddling etc.

Gemma is offline Registered User
    The nurses in the ward were v helpful after my c section at the matilda. You can be as hands on as you want. I was wanting the baby w me all the time, but ended up so exhausted they actually suggested looking after the baby for one night so I could get some sleep. Other more experienced ladies were happy to leave their bubs in the nursery to maximize rest. They are always there to teach you how to bathe everyday, how to swaddle, and all in all, a lot of emotional support. I had the same nurse for 5 nights in a row, and I don't think I would have got through the whole thing without her. Wrt breastfeeding you will find different nurses have different techniques and approaches. Some geled w me, others I found a bit rough and dogmatic, but they are all there to help. I loved the experience and plan to give birth there again next yr w my second little one.
    *jellybean* likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12