Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Are there any major complications to induction?

  1. #17
    jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mid-Levels, Hong Kong
    Posts
    347
    It does sound a little like your doctor is trying to 'scare' you into an induction. Ohhh, you're small, baby's big, risk of merconium etc... is he putting the other point of view to you at all. i.e. that waiting until At Least 41 weeks is most likely to result in natural labour which will be better for you and for baby (as shown by the SMH article above). Also that the risk of merconium being in the amniotic fluid is small, is most likely to happen when the baby is stressed during labour which induction wouldn't avoid if it's going to happen at all, plus the baby is not necessarily going to have any ill effects from aspirating merconium. As I said my baby was two weeks 'late' and he did aspirate merconium, was born, threw up a lot the first night and was fine.

    I'm not saying you should or shouldn't induce, the decision has to be yours but your doctor seems very keen on persuading you?

  2. #18
    lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South District
    Posts
    1,055
    personally had a horrible experience with merconium aspirtation where my daughter was in NICU in critical condition for 3 days due to that...all i know is that my 2nd doctor said that i should have had the baby 1.5 hrs earlier than i did and the whole trauma would have been avoided...don't know what that means in terms of meconium aspiration - but that really is not to be taken lightly. anyhow, just ask your doctor about the amniotic fluid each time and that should be a good indicator....also, if you need another opinion RE induction perhaps you can search the web to see what others think to decide for yourself (and not be led to do it by doctor for non-medical reasons)....

  3. #19
    jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mid-Levels, Hong Kong
    Posts
    347
    Sorry, leslie, I really wasn't meaning to make light of merconium aspiration, I know it can be serious and I can't imagine how horrible it was to have your little one in NICU. I was just trying to illustrate that the doctor can't really cite it as a reason to induce at 40.5 weeks without some more information to back that up. As you say, the OP probably needs to get more information.

  4. #20
    lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South District
    Posts
    1,055
    no offense taken JVN just wanted to make sure everything was "covered" in a sense....

  5. #21
    banane76 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    478
    I think there are certain conditions that will favour a succesful induction versus a failed one that leads to a c-section. If you've already started contracting and your cervix it ripened, that might be more successful than starting from zero. With my first baby, my waters hadn't broke, but my contractions had started and because of back labour, they were especially painful. I checked into the hospital about 12 hours into labour, but found out that my contractions weren't strong enough yet to really get dilated. I was probably stuck at 1cm for about 30 hours. From there, I asked for an induction (QMH), which they will usually do if you've been labouring for more than 24 hours. They broke my waters and put me on syntocin. I also then got an epidural which helped me get some rest and relax so my body could do its job with the contractions. It took about 8 hours to fully dilate and be ready to push. Luckily, it only took about 30min to push. They gave you some time parameters, 12 hours from beginning of induction and 1 hour to push before using instruments to help baby come out.

    With my second baby, my private doctor said my baby was on the bigger side and that because my cervix was already ripened at 38 weeks, my chances of a successful induction were higher. Then upon my visit to QMH doctor, he said that they would rather wait to induce which I'm glad because I was a little afraid since we weren't even 40 weeks yet. The doctor was like, this is your second baby, you can do it even if baby is on the bigger side. Well, our second baby came the day before is "due date" and naturally with NO epidural this time and no induction! Trust your body and your baby. Unless medically necessary, don't get induced because it could set you up for other problems for you and baby.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. IVF Complications? Any advice?
    By Gracey in forum Preconception
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM
  2. Induction / Augmentation
    By snuggles in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 03:30 PM
  3. c-section complications
    By mniem in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 03:39 PM
  4. Induction at QMH
    By HappyV in forum Family Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM
  5. Major Site Upgrade (Jan 20-21)
    By shri in forum Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Scroll to top