Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Cleaning baby bottles: Are sterilising liquids really necessary?

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Judging from everyone's replies, it has confirmed my belief that there really is no need to go crazy with all the sterilising liquids that all the commercial baby shops seem to recommend. Some of those shops make lots of money by scaremongering, don't you think? ;)

Anyway thanks for the replies. I'm going to wash the bottles out with regular detergent and then stick them into my steam steriliser machine.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I don't think that the sterilising liquids are "scaremongering" - it's just another way to sterilise, and possibly even cheaper. The initial cost is very small - all you need is a plastic box and some of the liquid which you then dilute, and you don't have any electric costs. Plus you just make up the solution once per day and you can sterilise the bottles in the same water over and over all day (and they are ALWAYS sterile, unlike a steam steriliser which, if you open it and don't use it, you need to resterilise everything.) The only thing that I would think is scaremongering is if they tell you that you need to use the liquid steriliser AND the steam. They both do exactly the same thing, so only one or the other is necessary.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Ah ok, I understand. I thought the solution was single-use only. Thanks!

Aviel is offline Registered User
    My baby son is 3 months, I wash his bottles with washing liquid then I put them in an electric sterilizer, I will be doing this until he is 6 months old

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    They both do exactly the same thing, so only one or the other is necessary.
    May be necessary - we have used neither and never had any problems. Our only investment was a small bottle brush to clean the teat and the screw cap of the bottle. We have not used any tablets, nor steam sterilizers.

I don't think many Mums sterilize their breasts before nursing, I am not really sure why there is such discipline on sterilizing bottles.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Valuable set of recommendations :

http://babyparenting.about.com/od/nu...lizebottle.htm

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    May be necessary - we have used neither and never had any problems. Our only investment was a small bottle brush to clean the teat and the screw cap of the bottle. We have not used any tablets, nor steam sterilizers.

I don't think many Mums sterilize their breasts before nursing, I am not really sure why there is such discipline on sterilizing bottles.
    Well yes - and actually I was not so "strict" about sterilising either actually, but my point was that you're not meant to do BOTH, only one or the other (if you choose to sterilise at all).
    2010-NewDad likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12