Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Cleaning baby bottles: Are sterilising liquids really necessary?

RileyC is offline Registered User

Question Cleaning baby bottles: Are sterilising liquids really necessary?

I'm wondering what other mothers out there do to clean the baby bottles. Do you just wash and clean the bottles and teats out with regular detergent before putting them into one of those microwave or steam steriliser machines like the ones made by AVENT? Or is it necessary to use a sterilising liquid like MILTON which I saw in mothercare the other day? Also, how old were your babies before you stopped sterilising their bottles etc?

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I used regular detergent for the bottles before sterilising, and it was fine. As for how long you should sterilise for, I did it until she turned 1. My son was a premie so was in and out of hospitals, visiting consultants a lot and they advised me that it was ok to stop sterilising once your baby is crawling and putting toys and their hands in their mouths as those things are not sterilised but I still waited until he was 1.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Just re-read my post and I confused myself! I have two kids, boy (almost 7) girl (almost 2). I washed bottles and teats with regular washing up liquid in warm water before sterilising, until they were both 1 year old. Consultant in the hospital where my son was born advised that I could stop sterilising once my son was crawling, as the floors are not sterilised and he would put his hands in his mouth etc after crawling.

RileyC is offline Registered User

i understood you perfectly well :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I sterilised until about 6 months - I figured that by that age, they were putting stuff in their mouths anyway and sterilising their bottles isn't going to make any difference any more.

I bought an electric steam steriliser for home use, but I noticed that the QMH NICU uses the liquid sterilising (Milton). There are pros and cons to both - do your research and see which works for you. They both sterilise just as good as each other.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    You can do one or the other, whatever is easiest for you, I guess. We just washed the bottles with the regular washing up liquid then used a steam steriliser up until six-ish months. I know people who just wash well and don't sterilise at all and some who sterilise past a year.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    We don't sterilise religiously - just wash out with boiling water at the start of each day and then with warm water and a little bottle brush during the day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i always just rinsed the bottle and teats clean before sterilizing it (no washing up liquid at all)...did this until 1 years old and then just used hot water to rinse the teats and my baby is no longer on the bottle from 1yr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast