Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Helper - how to find a good one?!

Zoska is offline Registered User
    How do you do checks on the helper you get from add, apart from references from previous employee? Can you do a police check or stg like that?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hi Zoska -- I did. Our new helper has been with us about a month. So far so good!

charade is offline Registered User
    Zoska not sure but I think a police check might be part of immigration procedure when they process their visa and work papers. One of my friends hired a helper who had been accused of theft by her previous employer. Immigration called my friend to alert her to this fact. My friend already knew about it but also knew the helper sufficiently well and decided to go ahead with the hire (she never had problems with the helper).

Zoska is offline Registered User
    Thank you for all the info. I think i will try both roots, will contact Agency and will start interviewing myself as well. If you hire DH that is already in HK does employer applay for her Visa?

charade is offline Registered User
    Zoska, if the contract of the helper was terminated before it ran out (by either party), then definitely yes and they also have to exit Hong Kong and come back on the new visa. If the contract ran out and the helper decided to move on, not sure. I think even in the latter case, a new visa will have to be applied for as it is a visa based on employment.

JamTam is offline Registered User

interviewing

Quote Originally Posted by bridiemexico View Post
    We have had two helpers and both times we have posted an ad on Geoxpat stating what we were looking for.
    Both times we interviewed three women and chose one. Both have been fantastic. I would struggle to go through an agency because I think it's really important to meet them first. One that we interviewed was extremely impressive on paper but when we met her I didn't have a good connection. Also, if they are already here they can come around and meet your baby/children and you can get a sense of how they will be. We didn't really have any criteria except being able to handle two kids on their own.

Hi there - don't all the agencies arrange interviews? I've only used Worldchamp but they set up 6 back to back 20 minute interviews from my shortlist for me when I last hired. I agree, I think it's very important to meet candidates face to face before making any decisions. Particularly if they are to be live-in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12