Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helper - how to find a good one?!

Zoska is offline Registered User

Helper - how to find a good one?!

Hubby and I are considering to hire a helper as we are expecting our first child in Jan. How to go around finding someone good? Could anyone recomend any agencies?
    Thanks in advance!

missidealiste is offline Registered User
    Yes its a question i would like to ask too... It seem so hard to find a maid with common sense ...

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I recommend this thread.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I've been reading many posts here on the helper thread. Many problems seem to be that people have unrealistically high expectations -- that a helper will know everything and transform your life. And that employers don't ask questions BEFORE their helpers get to Hong Kong.
    The guy at the Arrow Agency gave me a few tips -- like making sure that the helper can answer questions in thoughtful, detailed sentences, instead of just "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am".
    Two questions we asked.
    * "If there was an emergency -- like baby was really ill and both parents were at work, what would you do?" Some of the younger candidates had awful answers, like "check his diaper." The mature ones knew to pick up the phone, call the parents, ask in advance for a phone list, call the building management, call the doctor, etc.
    * "What are your strong and weak points?" The helper we ended up hiring was very honest -- she said her strong point was childcare and education. Her weak point was cooking -- which is not a skill we need so much. But at least we weren't surprised when she got here.
    * We also asked detailed questions about exactly what work she did or did not do for her past employer.

And, of course, check references. And be very clear exactly what you want from the beginning -- a young energetic helper? An older more stable helper? A married mother? Someone with good English, or cooking skill, or baby experience? No helper is going to excel equally in all areas.
    Good luck!

Thanks girls. Thanks for tops with the question. Gracey did you ended up using arrow agency?

JamTam is offline Registered User

WorldChamp and Criteria

Hello! I have had great success with Worldchamp (my contact there is Alice). They have also provided helpers for several friends with newborns as well, and all of us have been happy with the results.

One of the things I did was stipulate what I wanted up front. Worldchamp only sent me profiles of helpers who met these, or if flagged if they had exceptional experience but didn't meet the other criteria such as age.

My criteria were
    - at least 5 years experience in HK
    - at least 4 years newborn experience
    - aged 36 or older
    - good references

Separately, I looked at whether the candidates had had their contracts renewed, and followed up on references.

I also sent my helper to the paediatric first aid course and child care course at the Matilda.

Thanks for that, I will look into this agency.

bridiemexico is offline Registered User
    We have had two helpers and both times we have posted an ad on Geoxpat stating what we were looking for.
    Both times we interviewed three women and chose one. Both have been fantastic. I would struggle to go through an agency because I think it's really important to meet them first. One that we interviewed was extremely impressive on paper but when we met her I didn't have a good connection. Also, if they are already here they can come around and meet your baby/children and you can get a sense of how they will be. We didn't really have any criteria except being able to handle two kids on their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast