Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Toys/ Books Library ???

dpmother is offline Registered User

Toys/ Books Library ???

Hello there !

Was wondering if HK has any toys/books library for young babies ?

Buying too many toys can be a tricky in terms of space, money & lost of interest in the toys after few days.... childeren need variety & am sure it is not logical to just keep buying & storing them....

does anyone have a cost effective solution to this ?

i dont even mind exchanging some toys/books with
    other fellow moms for their babies !! (btw i have a 9 month old baby)

happy to share :)

any one else in ???

mamapanda is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about toys/books library for young babies in HK. But exchanging toys/books with others is a great idea! DS is only 4 mos old now so he doesn't have a lot of toys yet. But I'm sure his room's going to be filled with toys in no time. Grandparents from both sides are already members of Toysrus! May be set up a facebook page or something for people to post used toys/books pictures for exchange?

RileyC is offline Registered User

HK's Public Libraries has books for young toddlers and kids: http://www.hkpl.gov.hk/english/kids_...ids_teens.html

lisa88 is offline Registered User

There is an NGO that has a toy library, indoor playroom plus children's classes BUT it is up in Tai Po/ Tai wo: http://www.playscope.org.hk/Common/R...5_hkscs&page=0

We live in Shatin and have been members for some time. Membership is $100 per year, unlimited visits for the play room and very decent toys can be borrowed from the toy library.

Those who don't live in the area will have to arrange their own toy swap/sharing club I think.

We also borrow kids books from the local public libraries.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

there is a toy library in the Central Library in Tin Hau (one MTR stop away from Causeway Bay) - the only catch is you have to call way in advance as it is very popular. my daughter loves it as it's really this big playroom in the centre of the children's section of the library...quite nice! :)

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

As well as this it's worth rotating the toys you already own, put some of them away in a cupboard for a month or so then get them out again and they're magically super interested in them again, then you can put a different selection away and so on. I've always done this and even at 2 years old it's still working to keep him interested in the toys he's got.

When you are buying think about longevity of toys, some, like puzzles do have to be developmentally age appropriate but some can be used in different ways as they develop so you can ignore the age on the box. For example I bought my son the Happy land farm set when he was a similar age to yours, at first he just liked to feel, throw, bash the figures, then he started standing them up, moving them around and posting them through the windows of the barn. Then it helped him to learn his animals (Where's the sheep? what does a sheep say? sort of play) and now he's just starting fantasy play i.e. walking the animals around, putting them in the field and I think as his sense of this develops further he'll get much more use out of it in the next year or so... so all in all it's worked out to be a good value toy for us.